1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Nothing says deliciousness like an Aramark flag on your food

Liut and dixiehack like this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Dodgers-Cubs play opener in Japan in mid-March.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

They're shipping the Dodgers overseas in back to back years? I mean there's one obvious reason but I'm kind of surprised the union is down with that.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Phillies just sent an email push announcing the 2025 schedule. I don't think there's a single sport that hates its fans as much as Major League Baseball. Phillies home opener is on March 31st against Colorado and then they bring in...the Dodgers? Why on earth are you sending a warm weather team to the northeast at the beginning of April instead of the other way around?

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Portland would be even better. What a rivalry the Portland Yannigans could have with the Mariners.

maumann likes this.
  7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’m not used to being forced to pay a lot of money to goto Guardians games. So planning out our attendance the rest of the year is a shock when every weekend series is selling out. You can get into a White Sox game in Chicago for $1, though…

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Ranger brass gotta be pissed. Opening Day is always a sellout, whether it's the Red Sox or the Marlins. They lose a mid-season sellout gate by burning one of their Red Sox dates on their home opener.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t it be more fair to compare the first three to five rounds? That percentage is mostly low-round draft picks. If you hit in the first three rounds, you’re doing well.​

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Teams know from the start that at least 2/3 of their draftees have no shot of a meaningful MLB career. But you have to have enough guys to field teams so the guys who will make it have someone to play against (everybody knows this).

By eliminating short A, MLB simply reduced its costs by about 1/5 with probably no noticeable dropoff in the number of players who will make the show. They just ended the dream of marginal prospects who would be released in a year or two.

Good teams make their bones in rounds 4-20 (IMHO). Everyone in the top 3 rounds is pretty much interchangeable; the pool is probably 115 players all 30 teams agree have a great chance to make it. After that, it's projection and player development.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

See
    I'm gonna guess the players get extra compensation (not counted for luxury-tax purposes) for going over there. I don't know that, but I doubt the union agreed because it was persuaded that marketing of Ohtani benefits every player, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted