1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

There was some gnashing of teeth when minor league "jobs" were eliminated a couple of years ago. I'm with you. The eliminations will ultimately help thousands of people move on in life before they waste three years of earnings chasing an impossible dream on buses between Bluefield, Va., and Staten Island.

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

A traditional MLB opener would be the day of the NCAA men's basketball title game with Cincinnati playing first. Alas.

3. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Just like a journalism degree. #crossthread

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

tuba.jpg

Tonight's anthem performed by Cheryl on the tuba.

I Should Coco and maumann like this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Remember that amazing Cubs-DBacks opener in 1916? Wilson threw out the first pitch and everything.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

One of the last PAC-12 logos in captivity. Or are they just going to leave it as is for this coming school year?

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I believe they are keeping the Pac-12 logos because the conference still exists, albeit not in the same form.

8. tapintoamerica

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Really, who's to say that is wasting three years of their life? I bet most of them would do it again.

At 22, I bet I would have preferred riding that bus out of Bluefield over beginning a career in real estate.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Right? Chase the dream as long as you can and see where it goes. Especially if you're young and single. I think most of us have done the equivalent at one time or another.

11. tapintoamerica

These players will never have that choice to make, and I maintain that’s good. They won’t feel deprived because the opportunity won’t be presented to them. Roughly 1 of every 50 players taken after the 20th round will play in the Majors at all.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Goddamn right. I was part of a group of C&W enthusiasts who formed a band my senior year at a Northeastern college. We even got paid, as hiring us was a symbol debauchery was the order of the event. So we went West to seek our fortune. There was no fortune of course, but for two weeks in Missoula in October of 1972, we were big stars. Everybody should be a big star for a couple weeks. It's a good experience. Of the seven of us, three, 50 years later, are still professional musicians. They ain't stars, but they eat, and they are happy.

Draft saved Draft deleted