1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I don't get this. In the playoffs, the #5 starter is either not on the roster or a long man warming up when game 4 starts; the one game a series that the #4 starter pitches. They are probably the 2 players that matter most in the regular season but least in the postseason.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

They have to get there. They're not the playoff lock some might think. It's only six games down to being on the outside looking in.

And I'll tackle it from another angle. I'd sure rather see Burnes-Skubal, even Burnes-Snell, opening the first two games of the playoffs than I would Burnes-GRodriguez.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

No, that rule was changed in 2020. Suspended games are resumed from the point of suspension.

Suspended Game | Glossary | MLB.com

4. jr/shotglass

I see Mark Leiter Jr. is going to the Yankees.

5. jr/shotglass

Good grief.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I take it Snell isn’t going to Baltimore. Seemed a natural landing spot. I assume Giants are going to tell fans the Soler deal was the big move and they are ready to go all in on being 79-83 and 5 out of a playoff spot.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

From what I saw this morning, looks like Snell, Skubal and Crochet are all staying put.

8. jr/shotglass

And now it sounds like it's Norby AND Stowers. For a 2-9 guy.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Stowers is meh and way down the list of guys the Orioles should be protecting. Norby was never going to get meaningful playing time, not with Westburg, Holliday and Gunnar in the mix. Two years of club control with Rogers, who has actually been decent over the last six weeks or so. It's a high price, but I don't hate the move.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Indeed, you've got to grade Marlins on a curve. Rogers looked great in 2021 and has been meh since, but Miami is a disaster so anyone who gets out of there is a candidate to emerge w/the change of scenery.

11. jr/shotglass

If this is their move for the day, I see them getting somebody who roughly equates to Albert Suarez or Dean Kremer.

They have those.

They needed a bomb, and responded with a soft grounder to second.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Sounds like teams want Snell but want the Giants to pick up the contract or at least part. If the Giants move him, they want to get out from under the apron. So I’m guessing teams are either/or with prospects vs money. You either get prospects and take on the contract or we’ll take the contract, but you get less in return. Farhan may be waiting it out to see if anyone is desperate enough.

More than likely, Snell opts out at the end of the year and signs with the Mets/Dodgers/Astros and Giants are left with another Rodon situation: could have moved him but didn’t and missed the playoffs and got nothing in return.

Draft saved Draft deleted