1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Dodgers pitching is being held together with duct tape and bubble gum. This basically fortifies them along with their young guys. If I’m Milwaukee or the Phillies, I’m hoping they have their usual run of bad luck in October and that Roberts stays true to form.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Cole Irvin DFA'd. That spring promise faded fast.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Another Orioles-Phillies swap: LHR Gregory Soto to Baltimore for prospect Seth Johnson.

Look, I get the disappointment from Baltimore fans for not landing the big fish, but once I saw the haul the Rays got for Jason Adam, I knew it was going to take something huge to pry guys like Skubal or Snell away. Not worth it. The O's did bolster their rotation, even if it wasn't splashy. And as you said, we've already seen the Flaherty show once in Baltimore, and it was a disaster.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  4. jr/shotglass

Cosmo, I look at it this way.

I like the Soto move. But as far as the rotation goes, I wanted them to do enough to move Kremer out of the rotation, let alone keeping him in the No. 4 slot. Until proven otherwise, it's still hold-your-breath time with the starters at least 40 percent of the time.

Then they essentially swapped Hays for Jimenez. And I don't see that as a win.

P.S. They just got Austin Slater and his .185 BA from the Reds, too.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2024
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't think Kremer remains in the No. 4 slot. Sets up as Burnes, GRod, Eflin, Rogers, Kremer/Suarez. One of the two moves to the pen, probably Suarez. The rotation is better (if only nominally) than it was before the deadline. One point I've seen on the draft grade is that Rogers gets an immediate upgrade playing in front of a much better defense in Baltimore. We'll see what happens, but there was no move out there to get a true top-line guy unless you were willing to part with some combo of Holliday/Basallo/Mayo. Too much to pay for a lot of guys with uncertainty.

maumann likes this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Skubal was always going to be big risk/big reward for the Orioles but man, if Baltimore misses the World Series this fall because they don't get the bye and/or their pitching implodes, coulda woulda.

At the same time, I totally understand not giving Detroit the kitchen sink for a guy who's never gone this many innings in a season before. Skubal may win the Cy Young but the Tigers are still missing a bunch of moving parts on offense to make any kind of competitive run with him in 2025.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I would like to know what the Tigers would have wanted for Skubal, because I think I might have done it/ found a way to do it -- you get him for two and a half seasons and he's in his prime.

Liut, maumann and jr/shotglass like this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Having watched him the last two years in SF, have fun with that

Last edited: Jul 30, 2024
    HanSenSE likes this.
  9. jr/shotglass

Yeah, I have a vague recollection of him not succeeding.

I'd like to know who's moving out now, though. Santander-Mullins-Cowser-Kjerstad-Pache-Slater-Jimenez-O'Hearn.

And there's another thing. Jimenez has one defensive start this year; O'Hearn is more of a DH, and a good enough DH that I don't want him losing at-bats.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Well the bye got them three and cue last year, so there's that.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Phillies' collapse continues. Bullpen fails are now an almost nightly event. Oddly, I attended the Saturday night game where they looked like a match for the '27 Yankees. Also only game they've won in a week.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I think the Christian Pache Era is over in Birdland. Jiiminez is, Pache out.
    Jackson Holliday is on his way back. So the Terrin Vavra Experience is going on pause.
    Remarkably and on cue, Ramon Urias delivers a couple of big hits tonight.

Draft saved Draft deleted