1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

"The White Sox have gone full White Sox."

dixiehack likes this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Only thing missing was a tent.

I was encouraged by Cade Povich. Regardless of the lineup he was facing, he had outstanding stuff. 10 Ks in 7 1/3.

Cosmo likes this.
  3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Ohtani gonna go 50/50, and worthy of MVP. But in a year when doesn’t pitch, Francisco Lindor is gonna make it a tougher choice.

He’s on some kind of tear, largely putting the Mets on his back and keeping them in the playoff race. Has 30 homers now and is elite at shortstop. Leads the NL in WAR.

He’s just so fun to watch play. (Same for Ohtani, of course).

Fred siegle likes this.
  4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Clay Holmes is not a contender's type of closer.

Wyatt Langford takes him into the upper deck for a grand slam. Texas wins 7-4, AL East again tied at the top.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2024
  5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

The only person worse than Aaron Boone at his job is Brian Cashman at his.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It was a good thing he pitched yesterday when it was an 8-3 game with one out in the 9th so he could be fresh for tonight. I'm sure the double Lanford ripped off him yesterday gave him no plan for the at-bat today either.

7. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

I thought you were going to say there were four tickets there when you came back.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Boone keeps surviving because the team, except for one year, has been really good around him. And it's like no one in that front office can see how much better they'd really be if he wasn't the manager.

But hey, keep running Verdugo out there every day instead of promoting your top prospect and waste a roster spot on D.J. LeMahieu and his .204 batting average and .259 slugging percentage

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Boone is a total zero just shuffling the papers he's told to shuffle by Cashman, who must have some incriminating photos of Hal Steinbrenner.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The best stat is the White Sox have won I think four games since the all star break.

The all star break was a long time ago!

dixiehack likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Meanwhile in Anaheim ...

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I had a book from the late 1980s/early 90s called “On A Clear Day, They Could See Seventh Place” about the worst teams in MLB history by decade, starting with the 1899 Spiders, through the ‘88 Orioles. Pretty funny book.

I remember a line from the book about one of the pitchers (don’t recall their name) on, I think, the Spiders. Something like “On the Spiders, (Pitcher X) was a true workhorse. Give Pitcher X the ball every four days and he would pitch. Granted, he would lose, but he would pitch.”

That’s Chris Flexen today. True workhorse. Takes the ball every five days. Loses.

I Should Coco and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted