1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

x.com

while recovering from Tommy John surgery

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I recall this discussion on this site

IMG_3035.jpeg

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Thanks. I had forgotten that WAR takes everything into account, including defense.
    Is it accurate to say that the formula for WAR thinks relatively little of the stolen base?

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The way I understand it, WAR's offense calculations are based scoring probability so any advance on base is good. The issue with the steal is getting caught is much worse than advancing a base. According to pieces I read years ago, players need to steal at a 75-80% range to add value. The numbers change with different scoring levels.

5. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

He has been mindbogglingly good too. To have a 1.96 ERA in 73 major-league innings when he never had one lower than 3.13 in the minors (when the most innings he ever worked in a season was 63) is staggering. He's about to set a Cleveland record for most strikeouts in a season by a reliever, which is pretty impressive. (He's not close to better than Clase, though, but your point about the leverage is spot-on).

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Ohtani is now 51-of-55 in steals, which is also absurd. That's 92.72%. If he can go 2-for-2 the rest of the way, he'll have the second-highest success rate for players with ≥ 50 steals in a season. Record is 96.23% by Max Carey of the 1922 Pirates and second is 92.86% by Jacoby Ellsbury (52 for 56) in 2013.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I humbly withdraw my argument for Francisco Lindor over Ohtani for MVP. It was the information I had at the time. Ohtani just a DH and not pitching. Lindor a star on offense and a Gold Glove defender at shortstop. And carrying the Mets.

Ohtani is generational and a player you’re happy you get to witness in real time.

Management regrets the error.

MV-Fucking-P for Ohtani.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Being a DH is also a drag on WAR. It might be a negative factor.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I think maybe his on-base percentage might be more of a factor. They ML average is .312 and he's at .371 compared to Judge, who is at .455. But all that math is tough to understand

Draft saved Draft deleted