1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Same. Talented player but never thought he would have the lengthy MLB (and KBO) career that he did. Can’t believe he was still playing.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It would have been nice if Julio Rodriguez didn't suck for half the season and wait until September to really turn it on. They weren't as bad as I thought in runs scored, 21st, but they often did their pitchers no favors. Logan Gilbert took a big step forward with career-bests in innings pitched, strikeouts, K/9, and WHIP. He led the majors in IP and was fifth in strikeouts. His 3.23 ERA was the second-best of his career. You can make a strong argument for him as third in the AL Cy Young after Skubal and Clase. Despite all that, he ended up with a 9-12 record.

I Should Coco likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

It's possible someone lost and backed in somewhere in the past, but that's the same thought I had. The Mets had to wait for the Braves to finish taking their team photo before they could go out and take theirs!

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Regarding Julio, he began to heat up around the All-Star break, but then injured his ankle on a play in the outfield and missed about four weeks. Once he got back to full strength, he finished the season strong. But yeah, this is the second straight year he began his season with a whole lotta whiffs.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Definitely not a sellout in Houston today.

The crowd, that is. The members of the organization sold their souls a decade ago.

6. maumann

Just going through the 2024 final stats. Here's an interesting one.

In 22 games over 24.2 innings, Houston's Kaleb Ort gave up seven runs, all earned. On seven solo home runs.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He started very slow as a rookie, too.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Shit, @maumann, I could do that with my 68 mph heater.

maumann likes this.
  9. maumann

Well done!

I originally read that as "1968 beater," and thought about my friend who owned a Plymouth Valiant that probably couldn't have gotten up to 68 mph without the hubs falling off.

swingline likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted