1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He’d get the location wrong.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That sounds hyperbolic

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

As soon as Rengifo boxed that grounder up the middle, I knew something bad was going to happen to the Angels. It was a pretty easy play for him. Or, if he lets it go, is was only a slightly tougher play for Neto, who was right behind him. Both have really strong arms. Rengifo also has reverted back to swinging at those sliders in the dirt.

It seems that under Ron Washington and all of the new coaches, some Angels have gotten better (Trout, Ward, O'Hoppe, Sano) and some have gotten worse (Drury, Schanuel, Rengifo, Neto, Thaiss, Hicks).

MileHigh likes this.
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Because the surgery isn't a career ender like it used to be, more and more pitchers are getting them and they're getting them younger and younger.

It also speaks to how much more punishment they're putting on their arms compared to the past. You could live on 93 with an 85 slider and change. Now everything has to be north of 90 or pushing 100. Arms weren't meant to do that.

I Should Coco likes this.
  5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I misread it. I thought you meant since the season started.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My buddy's kid last pitched in '21, had TJ at probably 26, and is now starting, 2.5 yrs later (1-1). I asked buddy (a doctor) about the surgery and whether pitchers are throwing harder, etc. He just said they blow their arms out with no other explanation.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Padres pitched a no-hitter into the 7th and lost.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I have heard of instances where a teen-age pitcher, a high schooler, has chosen to have TJ surgery to get ahead of the career timeline. It's that common now.

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I seem to remember not long ago when agents were pleased when their clients had TJ surgery young to get the inevitable out of the way.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'll freely admit I haven't seen all the closers this year, and it sounds like Mason Miller is looking really good in Oakland, of all places.

But it would be hard to be more dominant than that ol' over-the-hill Craig Kimbrel. A development that I had never even considered. He's even avoiding deficit counts for the most part.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Have yourself a series, Cedric Mullins!

jr/shotglass likes this.
  12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Thank you, Hunter Renfroe, for your two-strike, two-out HR in the ninth that made my Royals -1.5 stand up.

Draft saved Draft deleted