1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Neutral Corner, Apr 18, 2024.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

So I was Youtube diving and I ran up on these. I knew that Holy Grail was a low budget film - anyone with eyes could see that - but the behind the scenes stuff in these, I had no idea about.

I was nineteen when it came out. Went to theater stoned as a monkey and laughed my ass off. Great value on my entertainment dollar.

Then there was this comment:

"Saw it in theater once. Came with a heartened announcement before the show from the theater manager "I KNOW ALL THE QUOTES, YOU KNOW ALL THE QUOTES, NOBODY WANTS TO HEAR YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS QUOTE THE WHOLE MOVIE, SO SHUT UP AND JUST WATCH!"

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

3. Neutral Corner

Man, if I had a dollar for every time I've quoted that movie...

Driftwood likes this.
  4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

That and Blazing Saddles are, to me, the two funniest movies of all time.

Driftwood likes this.
  5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Monty Python is such a key element in my appreciation and understanding of comedy.

They would laugh at such an academic statement about comedy, but it's true.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

She turned me into a newt.

Got better.

Wenders and Spartan Squad like this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Pretty much every morning multiple co-workers and I say, "I'd rather go on the cart."
    We all know what we mean.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

We incessantly quote Airplane! at work. Usually one of us is wishing the others luck and we’re all counting on them.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

One of the many things to love about great British filmed comedy is their love of history. Blackadder, Python, Eddie Izzard, the past looms large in their work.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  10. Neutral Corner

My first Python exposure was when I was nineteen years old and had just started at Georgia State University. I listened a lot to the student radio station, WRAS, really good FM rock station, and one afternoon they played Monty Python's "Argument Clinic". Blew me away laughing. It wasn't long afterward that the university ran "And Now For Something Completely Different", which was a film remake of most of the best TV sketches.

This was the first Monty Python I ever saw. Opening sketch of the movie. Edit: Or possibly the original that was remade, dunno.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

"The Funniest Joke in the World" was in retrospect lame, but a side-splitter on first watch.

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I just had to create the flag for my town as a project at work. I went around for at least a week going, "DO YOU HAVE A FLAG? NO FLAG NO TOWN, THAT'S THE RULES I JUST MADE UP."

OscarMadison, Killick and garrow like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted