1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When I was laid off, I was very unhappy and very hurt. But I wasn't mad at the Herald or anyone there. I was older and had one of the higher salaries in the department. Just business, and you should always be businesslike about business, even if you think you're on the short end of a poor decision. My years there were some of the happiest experiences of my life. Why be angry at a place that gave you that?

Pilot likes this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Bob Ley addressed the layoffs on OTL. I wonder if anybody else will on air.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Any word on Jen Lada?

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As others have noted, Werder probably ends up on NFL Network. Ditto with Ravech and Stark on MLB Network.

The college football guys are the ones in a bind. No one does college football as well or as comprehensively as ESPN. I'm sure a couple might land at Fox Sports or SI.com, but they won't have the multimedia platform they have now.

5. Steak Snabler

Jay Crawford as well:

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I know he is likely restrained from what he can actually say, and he will likely be one of the only ones to bring it up at all, but I found his phrasing that colleagues "will be leaving us" interesting. Almost makes it sound voluntary. But he probably knows anyone who takes five seconds to look deeper into it will get the whole truth.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That seems a bit ... harsh.

Liut likes this.
  8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

9. Steak Snabler

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I'm shocked that Jayson Stark got fired. For me, he was a must read whenever his byline came up. Shit, I used to run part of his notes column in our section every Sunday when he was at -- where? -- Philly.
    Sad to see Dana O'Neil go as well. True pro.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I'm sure I'm overstating this, but this feels like an early signal the sports boom/bubble is about to pop in even more dramatic ways. The TV deals got too large to justify. An entire society is increasingly more interested in games than actual life. It can't continue forever, can it?

Stoney likes this.
  12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The ones you don't hear speak loudest

Draft saved Draft deleted