1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More from Lean Dean

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Left_Coast, Nov 3, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

And Poynter would be the anti-Upton Sinclair, urging the workers to keep putting the shit into the processed meat the right way. After all, you can't control the cuts, but you can keep grinding dead rats into the cold cuts.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Last line of the story:

And after all the focus on his "record" profits, there is that. And it allows him to continue justifying the cuts throughout his company. Don't worry that his net income rose from $982,000 to $13.1M (think about that) in the span of a single year. My god. We're losing jobs for that?

This thread is not the first thread about cuts at a MediaNews paper. When will it end?

3. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Please note, that's profit FOR A QUARTER, not a year.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Sounds like this thread should be renamed Fat Cat Dean

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It is Dean.. it doesnt

6. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Here comes Lean Dean again ...

60 people, or one-quarter of the Mercury News newsroom, likely is going to get laid off this summer. This after 35 were cut before the end of last year.

Again, no surprise. This is the Lean Dean M.O. Cut, cut, cut and cut some more. Everywhere he goes, this is what he does. See Southern California and how those papers are doing. And once one company starts with layoffs, everyone else will jump in.

http://gradethenews.org/2007/Merccuts.htm

And that journalistic beacon, Carole Leigh Mitch Hutton tells the staff to "focus on journalism."

http://poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=12628

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Dean Singleton is a piece of crap.

That about sums it up for me.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

I second the thought. Singleton did the same thing in New Jersey more than 20 years ago. He's an embarrassment to the profession.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

He did it 30 years ago in Texas.

10. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

He has set the model that all publishers admire and try to emulate.

11. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

I wonder what kind of security this man has around him and his home. You'd think he'd be a little concerned about protecting his ass, wouldn't you?

12. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

Personally, I think Dean is a marvelous human being. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted