1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More from Lean Dean

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Left_Coast, Nov 3, 2006.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

RE: the previous 3 posts -- Singleton didn't need to lay off anybody, but floats the rumor 32 are going to be cut, then only cuts 22 and says he saved 10 jobs. How stupid does he think we are.
    Long Beach was a union shop, that's why Singleton torched it.
    Long Beach's Bob Keisser is a better columnist than anybody at the Breeze. Long Beach Frank Burlison is a better college basketball writer than anybody in the country.

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

It's absolutely because Long Beach is a union. Lean has been trying to torch that thing since he got his hands on it 10-12 years ago. Now he's done it.

3. Mateo

Mateo Member

The number you heard was close, but that's between both the sports copy desk AND the news desk. The staff is waiting to find out tomorrow who has jobs.

The Breeze probably saw what the P-T has gone through since 1998 and decided to get pro-active. The editors at the PT have been beaten down by years of having the screws put to them by Singleton. This will stem the tide, but I'm afraid Deano's not done yet.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If the Torrance paper is calling the shots, I would guess that all the Long Beach guys who they hire are really getting is a reprieve from cuts. When cuts come along again - and they will, knowing Singleton - those people will need to have really impressed to keep their new gigs over longtime Torrance/South Bay people.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My understanding is there are 21 people going for 12 spots on the news/sports desks for the Torrance and Long Beach papers.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Cuts came down today in Long Beach.

Some good people, and good journalists, are now looking for jobs. Some with a decade or more with the paper, who gave everything they had to it.

Hopefully there's a good reprieve period before Singleton's next large payment to the Church of Satan comes due.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I'm not at either paper now, and haven't in a few years now, but knowing those who are out of a job today, guys I worked with and had a great time working alongside, I hope they're able to find something better very quickly.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Is there a list?

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If there's a list of people who have a special place carved for them in Hell, Lean Dean would likely be on it.

10. Piotr Rasputin

And once again, the little boy in Champaign can't leave well enough alone:

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/long-beach-press-telegram/TAREDQ26NMN8LIDJK/p2

11. Mateo

Mateo Member

The staff from the Press-Telegram was able to address City Council Tuesday, to announce all the cutbacks and how it is bad for the paper. JUmp down to new Buisness No. 20 at about 49 minutes. Great stuff.

http://longbeach.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=12&clip_id=1937

The P-T lost our two prep writers and two copy editors. Our only pro beat writer lost his beat and is shifting to the city desk. That leaves a prep editor, two writers and three columnists.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

L.A. Observed says there are rumors of a new round of cuts in LANG today and that someone in Pasadena already has been laid off.

Draft saved Draft deleted