1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More from Lean Dean

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Left_Coast, Nov 3, 2006.

1. JJackson

JJackson New Member

Heard that there will be layoffs today at the LANG Daily Bulletin in Ontario.

2. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

What I can't figure out is this: Why don't LANG and BANG give up the pretense and simply have one newspaper in the north and one in the south? (Well, maybe they ARE giving up that pretense, day by day.) What a mess.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Bill Dwyre in today's Times:

Finally, a sad goodbye and fervent wish: L.A. Daily News sportswriters Matt McHale, Billy Witz, Heather Gripp and Matt Kredell all were asked to depart their jobs Friday, as the newspaper business continues to scrape flesh off its bones. They were competitors, some friends, all respected.

May they all land well, feed their families and harbor lifelong bad thoughts about the people who did this to them and their business.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-dwyre6mar06,1,7924069.column

4. MileHigh

Used to work there, so hopefully it's not going to be too bad. And hopefully it stops here and doesn't continue the eastward migration to San Bernardino.

5. joe

joe Active Member

Used to work in San Berdoo. Hope the sports department fares well, and there are (were?) a lot of good folks on the news desk, too. I think I got out just in time.

6. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Last I checked, IVDB and SB Sun were the same place. They share a lot of the same staff. If it hits one, it will hit the other.

7. MileHigh

Certainly from a desk standpoint. Hoping it's not a Long Beach/Torrance situation, but ...

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

God, I love Bill Dwyre.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Don't hold back, Bill... tell us how you REALLY feel.

In this case, it's welcome. (winks)

10. MileHigh

At least four have been cut today from LANG properties today.

http://reporter-g.blogspot.com/2008/03/ax-is-swinging-in-san-gabriel-valley-at.html

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This thing is like a cancer that has metastized and the treatment is doing more damage to the body than the original disease. Newspapers used to have status and authority attached to them. It was any newspaper's greatest asset, but now its like Buick figuring they need to start competing with KIA.
    People are getting the message that they don't NEED newspapers anymore and the industry responds by reinforcing that belief.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nicely worded, dan.

Draft saved Draft deleted