1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More from Lean Dean

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Left_Coast, Nov 3, 2006.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Here is a list of those who didn't make it through the San Jose cuts on Friday.

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/blogs/why_charles_matthews_won_t_read_the_merc_any_more_/Content?oid=659455

Of note:

Dennis Georgatos, 49ers beat writer
    Dave Kiefer, sports writer

Both were laid off

2. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

also very much of note: Travel writer and former LONG-TIME baseball writer Mike Martinez.

3. Ensign Pulver

Ensign Pulver Member

This makes me want to cry. Mike is the nicest guy you'll ever meet in this (or any) business. Aw, shitfuck.

4. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

You're right about Mike. I worked with him briefly in New York (he was with the Times). Great person.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Mike is one of my best friends, we have known each other for 40 years. A true professional. He was one of the first from the West Coast to get a gig at the NYT and he had enough nad to leave there and return to the West Coast.
    If talent like he has isn't welcome at the Merc, then it's not worth reading.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Some very interesting reading here. I never met Paul O. One of my best friends in the business/world is on his list of former colleagues and he raves about the guy. Good enough for me and, reading this, I can see why he earns the raves:

http://www.oberjuerge.com/

7. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Paul O makes a great point here: I believe it is telling I was not offered an opportunity to remain at a lower rate of pay, nor offered a transfer to any other job in the paper (or any other in LANG), not even the ones usually associated with entry-level talent. Steve Lambert wanted me gone. What I did the previous 32 years? Didn’t matter to him.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

Thanks for posting that. What Lambert and Singleton have sowed, so shall they reap.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Oberjuerge does an excellent job there with the description of what that moment is like.

So, this means the Inland papers have no sports columnist? At all? Because columnist guy didn't get along with bigwig guy?

Interesting.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Correct, no regular columnist for the Ontario/San Bernardino papers. I suspect those papers will just pick up Steve Dilbeck out of the LADN, but in terms of a voice for Inland Empire sports, nope, no columnist for those papers.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Let's see, Paul gets canned because he wrote about L.A. things too much.
    Now, the only access San Berdoo has to columns are those based in the San Fernando Valley, Torrance and Long Beach.
    Lambert must have his head screwed on backward.

Columnists are the face and voice of the paper.
    San Berdoo now has no face and no voice.
    But it does have Singleton.
    Bad tradeoff.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The Inland Empire will really get a kick out of reading about Krikorian's drinking buddies in Belmont Shore.

Draft saved Draft deleted