1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More from Lean Dean

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Left_Coast, Nov 3, 2006.

1. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

If Ms. Garcia gets the job, the happiest people will be in the Monterey newsroom. She ain't a lot of fun.

2. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

the word down here is that Caroleana is getting the job. Thanks for removing any doubt that this will not end well.

3. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

She's a lot different than Ron Kaye, that's for sure.

I will say that, unlike others here, I was extremely unimpressed after spending a couple of days with Kaye. The B.s. factor, I thought, was extreme. But that was only brief exposure.

4. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

5. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-kaye5apr05,1,233321.story

6. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Check out chucklehead DN publisher Hanes' quote in flack story that says Ron Kaye ``resigned.''

"Ron inspired achievement in a challenging way in a news media environment."

http://www.dailynews.com/ci_8814745

Wow... a news media environment... ::) ... You really are a friggin tool, Mr. Douglas E. Hanes...

Please bring back the Ice Cream Lady, NOW!

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Push aside the gruff, and you had a good boss.
    And, I was right. They're not even calling it a "mutual separation," they're calling it a "resignation."
    Those who know Kaye, he the resigning type?

8. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

It was far from a resignation. I looked at that and laughed at my own newspaper. It was more like an ambush. Kaye shot in the back by the people who elevated him to the position of editor.
    One thing I found very telling was that both the DN and the Times jumped the Kaye story to the obits pages. I don't think that was done by accident.

9. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Lean now able to not say how bad things are going for the company to the SEC.

http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/denver/material_disclosures/archives/2008/04/medianews_goes.html

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The one reader comment is inspiring:

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

That's bitchin'. I love that one.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Here's the money line...

So two companies netting $50 million in cash over three years on $1.2 billion in revenue?

How? How does this happen? Even taking into account newsroom expenses, in a cash-cow business where you can fall out of bed and net 8% at any paper, how in the hell do you net only $50 million on $1.2 BILLION in revenue?

Especially when you're Singleton and you're consolidating operations left, right and center and paying your employees subsistence wages? Where is the money going?

BTW, someone set our friend "Ed" straight on how the business works. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted