1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More from Lean Dean

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Left_Coast, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

For all the doom and gloom here, at least there is an Hispanic female in the top newsroom job at the LADN!

All the blood spilled, of staffers and ex-staffers, wasn't for naught.

2. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Please tell me you're not serious. If they wanted a woman as editor, they had one in Melissa Lalum who would at least have the support of the staff. Carolina, Latina woman or not, is an outsider, one of Butler's pawns and will not be trusted for a long time to come. This would have been true if the next editor, chosen by Butler, was male, female, black, white, orange or green. Having Carolina as ediotr is nothing to celebrate.

3. Joe Williams

Sorry, rpm, forgot my blue font. I was indeed poking fun at the mentality in our business that will celebrate demographic check-lists over all the other hemorrhaging and carnage in our business. As if the readers who are canceling subscriptions, the non-readers who aren't starting new subscriptions and the advertisers who are spending their dollars elsewhere all magically will smack themselves upside the heads and pledge allegiance to the newspaper again if only the aging white males weren't so plentiful there. (The a.w.m.'s who haven't been laid off or bought out, that is.)

4. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Thank goodness. Now I can go back to concentrating on getting my teaching credential.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I dunno.. I suppose some people could be helped by any ediotr

6. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I'm not responsible for content. You just better hope that I never end up teaching one of your kids. No telling what kind of creative spellings I imbed in their brains.

7. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Lean slips up when addressing Obama.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003789312

After addressing the journalists gathered at the annual Associated Press luncheon in Washington, D.C., today, Sen. Barack Obama, standing at the podium, took a few questions. The last one from the audience, delivered via AP chairman W. Dean Singleton, was related to Afghanistan, our troops in Iraq and the threat posed by, as Singleton put it, "Obama bin Laden."

Obama quickly corrected Singleton. “That’s Osama bin Laden,” he said. The crowd laughed a bit. "If I did that, I am so sorry," Singleton replied.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

From the wife, re: buckweaver's post:

"Are they joking? Is that supposed to be funny?!?!?!?!"

I actually don't think Murdoch is that bad. yes, he owns Fox News, and Republicans suck, and blah blah blah. But he's not a dude who has the rep for killing jobs like those others. The lesser of the evils, he is.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Kinda sad, isn't it?

Another thing that's sad: Out of the four companies I've worked for, Gannett was the best of the bunch. What a shitty business.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fuck. just fuck.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The four horsemen of the apocalypse....

12. Joe Williams

I count five there. Unless you're giving Murdoch a pass.

Draft saved Draft deleted