1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More from Lean Dean

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Left_Coast, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no. i'm sure he miscounted.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I worked for Murdoch. I've had worse employers. He LIKES newspapers, and I think doesn't really believe anyone gives a shit about their editorial slants.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm sure singleton likes newspapers, too.

4. lono

lono Active Member

Foreskin said these board seats are going boys, and they ain't coming back.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Was mentioned a couple pages up.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hard to figure who loses more if the info stays public, Singleton or the lenders that are going to have to admit at some point he has them over a barrel.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Dean Singleton acknowledges embarrassment or feels shame?

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you'd have to be wrong to do as much, wouldn't you?

9. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Total collapse at Lean's publications in SoCal today. With apparently Lean in town today.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2008/05/lang_papers_hit_by_techni.php

Indeed, it looks like the server was knocked completely off-line last night and continues to be down this morning. I'm told the morning papers look they were written on typewriters and that Unisys, the database reporters and editors use to actually create the paper, continues to be off-line as well.

10. truman

truman New Member

More details: http://reporter-g.blogspot.com/

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Haven't talked to my friends in LANG about last night's problems, but this isn't the first time Unisys has gone down like that.

Pine's note says they're using Macs with Quark as the backup -- problem with that is so few Macs are left in the newsrooms, and since it's been a few years since anyone in that chain used Quark on a daily basis, asking people to put out even a 4-page section is going to be a challenge on such short notice. I consider myself to be pretty good with that stuff, but I know I struggled big-time on a near-emergency the first time Unisys went out on us:

I got called in around 7 p.m. on my off-day and spent about two hours copying/pasting stories off AP Exchange and formatting them in Quark from scratch. Got about 3/4 of an inside wire page done -- and it looked pretty good, if I do say so myself -- before the system came back online around 9 p.m. Then we busted ass to get the entire sports section out by 11:30, only 30 minutes past the then-deadline.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

So which lucky paper is going to have layoffs to fix the server?

Draft saved Draft deleted