1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More from Lean Dean

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Left_Coast, Nov 3, 2006.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Bring back Hastech.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Anybody have scans/PDFs/images of what LANG sent out?

So they don't have backup layouts set up, they don't have their fonts archived and there's no sort of a plan B in place, even though they know this could happen.

[​IMG]

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

To be fair, which papers out there have a second pagination system in place, if the primary goes down?

And I'll add this: I was one of the few who actually liked working on Unisys -- same system that the Wall Street Journal uses, by the way -- and I don't think that's the problem. The simple fact is, when you've got eight newspapers running on two (small) servers that makes the system lag at a painfully slow pace even on the best nights ... well, it was a disaster waiting to happen.

4. MileHigh

On Unisys here and love it.

And, yes, it was a recipe for disaster.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

When my old paper's pagination went out - more than once, I might add - we had a backup plan in place to go to a local weekly and we never really had any problems, except we had to get out ridiculously early so they could drive the plates back and forth.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

We're switching to InDesign and our art department and all design people are on Macs. Are we behind the times?

7. MileHigh

PaulO mentions going to the P-E once before.

http://www.oberjuerge.com/?p=105

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

can you still put helmets on a page?

9. Che_bizzarro

Che_bizzarro New Member

50-hours in and Unisuck is still down..... With no timetable as when to it will be back...

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

LBPT exec city editor Jason Gewirtz has joined the exodus voluntarily.

http://www.lbpost.com/newsdesk.php?id=239

11. MileHigh

It's not Unisys. It's the fact -- as mentioned here and elsewhere -- that the system is being run on two small servers for eight papers. It's any wonder this didn't happen before.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This isn't anything new, to be fair.
    The other day I was with tech support for a Sony VAIO with "Mike" from the Madras Province -- a guess, but not far off.
    I can tell you two things for sure. His given name wasn't "Mike" and he wasn't from Provo.

Draft saved Draft deleted