1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More from Lean Dean

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Left_Coast, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

From what I understand, MediaNews' status as a private company means they don't have to open their books.

2. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Here's a thought. What happens if Lean Dean dies? Doesn't matter how, disease, homicide, car crash... Anyone know who'd take over the company? And just as important, does that mean we have to be nice for a few days, or we can we still have at him on this thread?

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

See Jelinic, Bob.

4. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

or lightning, since were splitting copy editing hairs here.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I talked to someone yesterday who has close ties to someone at the L.B. Press-Telegram. Apparently they're moving into a smaller building downtown.

He also told me he dickered his way into a 50-cent-a-week subscription then used that as leverage against the L.A. Times, who gave him a 3-dollar-a-week subscription. They're practically giving it away in L.A.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Some actual good news here.

Steve Dilbeck has landed on his feet, leading the Dodgers blog at the Times.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dodgers/

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Did anyone copy edit that memo?

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

More bad news.

http://www.lbpost.com/news/allison/11548

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No surprise. Obviously, all the best to those affected.

This should serve as a warning shot to all those publications Singleton acquired between Denver and Fort Collins in Colorado. Lehman wasn't going to pay well, etc., etc. ... but Singleton won't improve the situation. Not now and not ever.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The consolidation is well underway at those papers along the Front Range.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I'm sure it is. They could go from the chance for parking cars at Lehman holiday bashes on their nights off to much worse. Perhaps Dean Singleton will need added security at his compound in Denver when he finally gets around to his cutting and slicing ways at the Post?

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

It's an absolute crime that the Long Beach paper has been ravaged. Has it sunk below bureau status? Will it even have an office anymore?

Draft saved Draft deleted