1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More from Lean Dean

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Left_Coast, Nov 3, 2006.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Totally agree. Not long ago that place was super strong and produced great stuff. yes, yes, you can say that about anywhere, but how far that place has fallen -- actually, the entire SoCal market -- is sad and depressing.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Aren't bankers running the company now?

I thought Dean was in more of a figurehead role, except for Denver and maybe the new Colorado acquisitions.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Some HR personnel will stay in Long Beach. Not sure who else.

The Long Beach operation, since fall 2006:

- Had its own building, which it moved out of, to:
    - Renting two floors and a ground-level office space for HR at the nearby ARCO Towers, starting in November 2006
    - Major layoffs and copy desk consolidation, first to Torrance in February 2008, then elsewhere
    - Sometime not two years after the move, the remaining editorial staff moved from its space on an ENTIRE FLOOR at ARCO to being squeezed into the office spaces HR had on the ground floor. Sports was in a space smaller than most living rooms. Barely space for five computers and some file cabinets.

Now this. Singleton had cut a wide swath in the late 1990s, then Long Beach was quiet for a while. But once Singleton bought Torrance (a battle he had waged for a long time), Long Beach began a spiral that has yet to end.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No, thanks, so long as we're required to witness debased atrocities virtually every day.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Not yet, I believe. I think he's still CEO until the revamped BoD agrees on a replacement.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I haven't seen anything on the Colorado consolidations, though I probably would not since Media News owns all the newspapers in the area. What is happening?

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Ax fell in Long Beach Monday.

Three photogs (I believe), and one sports staffer so far. The rest remain in the limbo-like state known as "Being Under the Singleton Boot."

First comment says it all.

http://reporter-g.blogspot.com/2011/06/other-lang-layoffs.html

Frank Burlison. Guy works his tail off and pretty much helped pioneer a lot of how college hoops is covered now, from recruiting news to showing up at every single game he could get to.

The rest of Long Beach's sports staff is now in Torrance. That's about 40-45 minutes from the old Long Beach office (give or take), and about 15-20 minutes from the closest portion of the Press-Telegram's sports coverage area. If they still consider Carson High worth paying attention to.

Insert here: standard curse against Dean Singleton and everything he represents.

8. MileHigh

They also cut seven out of San Gabriel/Whittier/Pasadena last Friday, including the Pasadena city editor. Word from out there is the offer to get the OC Register needs to be upped if MediaNews wants to get its hands on it so it can then start taking a machete to it like it has all of the other SoCal properties the past 12 years.

As for Burlison ... heard that last night and that is an absolute joke. A pioneer is the right word.

And what has happened to the Press-Telegram under MediaNews is beyond sad. Lots of places have been A-bombed across the country, but not like what that place was and what it is now.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I wish I had the link, but Denver Post's editor told staff there was a 4 percent cut ordered to the budget. No layoffs or buyouts, but features and sports sections shrinking slightly. Post gets a lot of sports space (but not like the Rocky did... hi, Mile High...) so I don't know what this will translate into on a daily basis.

10. MileHigh

Depended on the day of the week, but Rocky space was about the same M-F vs. the Post. Definitely, the sports section now was quite healthy, and I don't think a 4 percent cut will be severely noticed. I thought their Sunday section two days ago was quit healthy space-wise. Very few ads, but that's the norm of late, it seems. And the past couple of days didn't seem overly tight, but it's late June, too. Classifieds continue to shrivel to the point they are now at the back of sports on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Here's the link about the cuts.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2011/06/denver_post_4_percent_budget_cut.php

And here's a link about some comics -- including Doonsbury -- getting slashed out of features.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2011/06/denver_post_yanks_doonesbury_peanuts.php

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Eww-yon bust-eeeeng *clap-clap-clapclapclap*

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I know we had a Berman punch bet going a few years back so I feel no shame on this one.

I pledge $100 to whomever can kick Dean Singleton over while he's riding his Hoveround. I pledge $200 if you can have it on video.

Draft saved Draft deleted