1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More from Lean Dean

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Left_Coast, Nov 3, 2006.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links. I figured you'd have them or know where to go because of your Denver background... the Post's space still seems fairly healthy compared to other big-city dailies owned by other companies (coughcoughGannettcoughcough), so I agree it might not be noticed as much.

I think their sports section was 10-12 pages most days when football or other big coverage wasn't going on. Heck, for some big cities that's a generous section.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's more of a contract kneecap, actually. than a bet.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I got $500 for the agent who launches a complete IRS personal finance audit.
    I'll even pay it under the table.

4. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

BANG Executive Editor Kevin Keane and Managing Editor Pete Wevurski (a former sports guy, I believe...) were both axed today, according a memo reported by blogger Richard Brenneman.

The thread that began a week before Bush's second term midterm keeps giving...

http://richardbrenneman.wordpress.com/2011/06/30/media-news-slashes-bay-area-la-press-corps/

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Anyone from sports get laid off in the East Bay?

6. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

The only known casualties are Keane and Wevurski. According to some Facebook posts, nobody really knows what's going on, but people seem to be expecting the worst. This news, combined with recent LANG layoffs, is raising speculation that an OC Register acquisition is imminent.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup, that's what I've been hearing out of SoCal all week. As unfortunate as that sounds. Because the same stuff will happen there as has happened at BANG, LANG ... hell, all MediaNews papers -- slash and A-bomb.

8. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Here's something crazy, if LANG and OCR consolidate sports and eliminate a reporter on beats now covered by both LANG and OCR: No Dodgers beat writer will lose his job. Neither LANG nor OCR staffs the Dodgers full-time.

9. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

A silver lining to SoCal journalism Armageddon

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Why have multiple editors when you just need one for everyone since every location is one size fits all:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_18384602

David Butler, editor at San Jose, will now be editor at the Mercury News, Contra Costa Times, San Mateo County Times, Oakland Tribune and various sister daily and weekly papers.

Other high-level positions were consolidated to oversee all papers, including Bud Geracie to be BANG executive sports editor.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And not only is Pete a part-time denizen of the SportsJournalists.com sandbox, but he's the quintessential journalistic warhorse, not to mention a class, class act. More SE's should have his combination of journalistic chops and class.

I like Fishwrapper's idea: a full IRS proctoscope. To quote Robert Stack's character in "Beavis and Butt-head Do America," don't stop until you reach his mouth.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That's really tough news, worked with some names on those lists.
    And the BANG is kind of a blob. Used to be it tried to be really local, but it really is three or four different markets with Contra Costa, the Tri-Valley, the Oakland/Eastbay corridor and the South Bay.
    About the only thing I see it doing is shortening the 3 p.m budget meeting.

Draft saved Draft deleted