1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More from Lean Dean

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Left_Coast, Nov 3, 2006.

1. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

No Kings or Clippers reporters either. I'm not sure if the OC Register has an Angels writer, but I am pretty sure the reporter isn't traveling with the team.
    But there are two Lakers writers. Be afraid, be very afraid.

2. Reuben Frank

Reuben Frank Member

I worked with Kevin many many years ago at The Burlington County Times in Willingboro, N.J.

Total pro & great guy.

Any paper that decides it's better off without a newsman like Kevin is delusional.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Pete's an old APSE pal from way back, always a great guy and colleague. So this sucks.

Boy, what a fall the Mercury-News has taken from its heyday -- not that that's an isolated story.

4. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

OCR travels with Angels, Lakers, Ducks, UCLA and USC (football).
    LANG travels with Lakers, UCLA and USC, as far as I know.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This. And there's sharing with Riverside, too.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

SF used to be such a great newspaper area. The Merc was a hell of a paper. Now the BANG papers are more cookie-cutter and it's the Chron that's greatly improved. IMHO. Never thought I'd see that.

7. MileHigh

Can say the same about what a dynamic and diverse newspaper market SoCal was until it all started to unravel on April 1, 1999.

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

The Chron is greatly improved? Seemed like they have a good core of writers, but it's rapidly shrinking. Ahh well.

I'd love to work in the area, but BANG, makes the prospect MUCH less appealing.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Put it this way. I used to think the Chron was the inferior paper to the Merc and the East Bay product, and now the Chron seems to have its act together (even though, as you said, it's rapidly shrinking... and what paper isn't these days).

MileHigh's absolutely right about SoCal, too. There used to be such diversity in the papers and now it's sad to see just LAT, LADN and OCR out there doing a decent job. Riverside, too, in the Inland. Seems like so much product has been gutted.

10. MileHigh

Pay wall going up for 23 of their papers. Two are within the LANG umbrella (Redlands and Whittier).

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-medianews-group-adds-paywalls-to-23-more-newspapers/

Oh, even if you subscribe to the print product ... too bad. Pay up for the online version.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I wonder what the online advertisers think about that?

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Great idea (I can't make the rolling eyes thing in a quote reply here.)

Draft saved Draft deleted