1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More from Lean Dean

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Left_Coast, Nov 3, 2006.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm guessing this decision was made by the hedge fund people who know jack about the business.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not that Uncle Dean knew/knows jack about the business. But I digress.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2011/08/medianews_group_digital_pay_walls.php

"We don't know at this point whether this strategy works well for metro newspapers," she notes. "And we're not looking at all beyond this particular initiative. Time will tell, but at this point, we want to get the strategy in place and work with these communities to make sure we feel comfortable with how it's being implemented and how the community responds. We see this as a finite deal at the moment."

3. MileHigh

And Uncle Dean actually speaks from on high:

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_18685864

"MediaNews Group's print and digital properties are the trusted and definitive source of local, up-to-date news and information in their communities," said chairman and chief executive William Dean Singleton​.

"The decision to begin charging for our online content introduces a new era for our organization that is reflective of the high value we place on journalistic excellence and serving the community," Singleton said. "Implementation of online subscriptions will allow us to continue to support the quality writing and reporting that our readers expect from us."

4. Mozilla

Mozilla Guest

I think it's a great move. And if all the other chains would fall in line, newspaper/media companies could build the new market instead of continuing to give the product away. It takes a good business plan and long-term commitment, though; you have to expect to lose online traffic heavily at first.

The market will be there at some point for serious, well-reported news -- especially the local stuff. But you need forward-thinking executives to drive the transition and sell it to the consumers. What's maddening is all the newsrooms that are crumbling, and all the journalists who are losing their jobs, because we haven't pushed the transition hard enough.

Few things in life are free. Fifteen years of free newspaper sites were great for the consumers, but it's time to remind them that this is business, too. Got to be bold enough to go there, though. And I would expect that any newspaper subscriber would get the online access free of charge.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

In the community I live in (which is serviced by a MediaNews paper) readers are already complaining that the "paper isn't worth what's in it anymore." I doubt this going over very well with them.

6. MileHigh

New CEO at MediaNews is named: John Paton.

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/romenesko/145239/paton-to-serve-as-ceo-of-medianews-and-journal-register-co/

7. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

So, if I'm reading that right, MediaNews and JRC are merging?

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That light at the end of the tunnel? It's a train.

9. MileHigh

Kinda sorta, but not really. He's going to run both companies and they're collaborating on this venture. No surprise this was one of the first highlights:

This arrangement provides MediaNews with immediate cost benefits, the news release said, and the ability to leverage the combined scale and expertise of MediaNews and Journal Register Company to benefit both companies.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Oh, c'mon. We know this is bullshit. This MediaNews and its scumbag have been doing this for 35 years. It's not going to benefit *either* company. It might benefit a bottom line temporarily. That's all this is.

11. MileHigh

It does look like to be a merger, without calling it a merger.

And, yes, of course it's bullshit. It's been bullshit from them, as you say, for the past 35 years.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I thought the same hedge fund held pretty big stakes in both?

Draft saved Draft deleted