1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More MG News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Remind us again why we got into this business...

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

To work Friday evenings.

3. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

If this goes through, and I haven't heard for sure that it will, they will definitely be looking for people to relocate to Lynchburg and work on what will become a very, very large copy desk.
    When they started doing Danville and Reidsville/Eden/Madison up there, there was an assumption most of the deskers from Danville would go to L'burg permanently. I was one of four who made the commute from Danville to L'burg for two months. Of those four, one is back working in Danville, two of us are now in Reidsville and only one actually stayed in Lynchburg permanently. He commuted for most of the summer (72 miles each way, I might add) before finally getting an apartment right down the street from the paper at the end of August. They hired a bunch of people in late May to replace the rest of us. One came all the way from Kansas and I think another came from New Hampshire.
    So yes, if you're looking to stay with the company and don't mind relocating, I would guess you'll be able to remain employed.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, the association at my old shop is holding its ground. Won't agree to the extra four days of furlough. So they got this e-mail today.
    They stood their ground on the raises promised in the new contract when company asked for them to be delayed. So the company responded with five more layoffs!

Staff:

We were informed today by RNPA counsel Jay Levit that the union will not participate in the company’s 4th quarter four-day furlough program. Since first being informed about the company’s furlough program on Sept. 16, the company has been waiting to get a decision on RNPA participation. Represented employees have been waiting as well, including some who have asked their supervisors if they could take the furlough days.

Because of this decision, the RTD will have to find the expense savings elsewhere.

We are disappointed with this aberrational decision, but we will move forward in putting out good print and online products. Thank for the cooperation, patience and coordination in helping manage the extra furlough day during the last quarter.

As always, the senior team is available if you have any questions.

Glenn

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

There's nothing funnier than senior management promising to put out a good product, then fucking up the grammar in the next sentence.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Moddy, does this mean more cuts in personnel, in your opinion? Also, I understand there are a few openings that the place is looking to fill. Does that mean those hires will be frozen?

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Drip, I have no idea what it means. Where else do they find expense savings? I truly don't know.
    I do know the newsroom figures it means cuts in personnel. When they didn't agree to delay their raises, five more cuts were made - the e-mail they got afterward is posted here somewhere.
    I do also know it breaks my heart. Lots of great people and newshounds in that newsroom still. A ping-pong table doesn't do much for morale when there's a constant fear of more job cuts hanging over all the heads.

(and, yes, they put in a ping-pong table as a way to help boost morale)

I also don't know what it means for the open positions. I haven't talked to anyone there about those. I had a long talk with one of my former colleagues/staff members just last week and the subject of the paper never came up. We talked about things going on in both of our families, some people we knew outside the business, etc., but nothing about the paper.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Thanks. Just when you think things can't get any lower, it does.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is all bad, and the worst of it is not the method, per se, that is being used to try to save money because companies have to do that, somehow, or else, shut down.

The worst thing, and what we're really railing against, is that there seems to be no end to it, and few positive possibilities, in sight right now.

That said, I'm with Mizzou on this.

Take it from someone who has been either unemployed or way underemployed for nearly two years now: As bad as furloughs are, the alternatives are much worse, and, over time, are far more frightening and untenable in their relentless reality.

Oh, and JKelly12? You won't have to worry about whether you'd be willing to stock shelves and such, because, in all likelihood, you will not be able to get those jobs.

Take it from someone who has not only worked somewhat regularly -- although not regularly enough to live on -- in freelance writing but also has tried to get, and been formally turned down for, supplementary jobs at places such as Costco, Borders, Macy's, JC Penney, Kohl's, Target, a library, a school district, a couple of grocery stores, and yes, McDonalds, among others.

It is insane. These HR departments will hire teens and others whom I'd bet could not count change back to a customer without looking at what the register says to give them if their lives depended on it.

But they will send you emails telling you that, regretfully, they currently have no jobs matching your experience and skill set but thank you for your interest, and we wish you all success in your future endeavors...as if it takes particular skill to work a cash register, hang up clothes or stock shelves.

But, apparently, it does.

10. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

It was a sarcastic comment, WriteThinking, along the lines of "would you like fries with that?" I harbor no illusions that I would be able to get a job at Wal-Mart, McDonalds or anywhere else. That's why I'm clinging to this dying industry for as long as I possibly can.
    And I don't need a lecture on what unemployment is like. My wife had to leave her full-time job in Monroe, N.C., on Oct. 14, 2008 so I could become the sports editor 150 miles away in Danville, Va...a job which was eliminated less than six months later.
    She's applied for about 40 jobs, maybe more, and had a grand total of five interviews, but she hadn't worked at all during the ensuing time until today, her first day as a substitute cafeteria worker. That's not her chosen line of work, either, but any job - even temporary - and any money at all is better than the alternative.
    That's why I just want to find some obscure weekly paper somewhere and hang in there as long as I can. The metros may be dying, and the smaller dailies may not be far behind, but I'd like to think the weeklies will have at least a slightly longer shelf life.
    And I've said this before, but those of us at MG who are complaining about furloughs aren't saying it's as bad as being out of work. It's the way they were handled. Being told on Sept. 16 that an additional 10 percent was coming out of our Sept. 25 paychecks was not cool. And having to roll pennies, dimes and nickels just to cover my rent check this week was not fun.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is the ongoing collapse of our industry sucks for all of us, just to varying degrees. And those of us who are lucky enough to still be working aren't necessarily doing that great. I always said as long as I'm not eating ramen noodles, I'm doing okay. Well guess what? I had ramen for lunch TWICE in September. Seriously.

11. WS

WS Member

If MG would just lay off someone on the corporate ladder, anyone, it would save more money than getting rid of 5 more workers making $30K a year

Too much sense, though.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I guess I missed the sarcasm, and I'm sorry about that.

And, you're right. There are degrees to everything, and this isn't some competition to see who has it worse, or worst.

That seems to be the direction things are going right now, though.

My apologies, and sympathies, JKelly12. I can empathize, and have to remember to do that, even if/as I get absorbed in my own situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted