1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most charitable athlete?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by tommyp, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

From what I understand, Tiger donates to a single charity -- the Tiger Woods Foundation.

The Tiger Woods Foundation says its mission is to aid inner city education... only, public schools are NOT eligible.

So that leaves inner-city private schools and programs...

There might be a good story there, yes.

2. Warrick is the Man!

Slightly off topic here, But I always thought these guys should be a little more generous.

When I'm in church fantasizing about QB'ing the Steelers - cause the sermon sucks - I always envision myself buying a section of Heinz Field some nachos and a beer. Each and every home game, I would work it out so that the vendors would deliver the goods to a section of Heinz to say thanks to the fans.
    Not for publicity's sake either. I'd want it to be low-key.
    In my final game at Cleveland, I buy the Dogpound a round - though it wouldn't arrive until after the Steelers scored a go-ahead touchdown to once again rip out their hearts and stomp on the entrails. ;D
    Have a beer boys, it will kill some of the pain!

Of course, I'm not a millionaire QB, I'm paunchy sports writer who saves his receipts from Wendy's with the fading hope I'll be reimbursed by the company.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Doesn't Shawn Kemp do a lot of that kind of thing, too?

4. Yeah but it's court-ordered. Most of the single mothers claim Kemp as the father.
    I heard he buys Father's Day cards in bulk. He's the Steve Garvey of the NBA!

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

How about stories on what pro teams as a whole do charitywise? Many teams go to hospitals to spend time with young patients, a lot of teams have a charity fundraiser event or two and I'd imagine every team has a charity foundation of some kind.

It would also be good to read about it when it isn't Thanksgiving or Christmas when one expects to read that story. It's a good story to run any time of the year.

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

Ah, sweet Luggy, bestilling my tiny, bloodless heart.

The Tiger Woods Foundation is a fink of colossal proportions. With his fame and money and reach, he could really change the world if he wanted to.

He doesn't want to.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A prediction for Jones and Luggie: The minute Woods stops winning, his charitable and civic good works will expand exponentially. He'll be following the trail of the 19th century robber barons.
    Nobody remembers that Leland Stanford, Andrew Carnegie, and Henry Frick were superprick thieves-they just see the schools and museums of the same name.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I've heard that Wilt Chamberlain was very generous.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

One time on Christmas, Mrs. W and I were in Miami on vacation. We were in a gas station off of South Dixie Highway, and Brian Grant was there with ice packs on his knees (Riley had them practicing). Grant is standing gassing up his car and he walks over to a couple of homeless guys. He talks to them for a couple of minutes. When he walks away, he hands them a bunch of bills. No publicity or anything. Just a real spirit of the season sort of a thing.

10. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

How many fathers does Kemp have?

11. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Most truly charitable acts occur without public acknowledgement. That said, those athletes who use their fame and exposure to promote others to give of their time, money and resources should be respected.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I think Derrick Thomas, despite his gallivanting, was one of the most charitable guys there ever was. He was NFL Man of the Year and one of GHW Bush's 1,000 Points of Light or whatever it was. Taught kids to read and supported Vietnam Vets. RIP (and it's a travesty of justice you aren't in the Hall of Fame already).

Draft saved Draft deleted