1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most charitable athlete?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by tommyp, Nov 2, 2006.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Shaun Alexander began his foundation while he was still in college.

2. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I'm throwing a vote in for Spurs great David Robinson, who during his time in San Antonio gave oodles of money to educational causes.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

David Robinson's former Spurs teammate, Bruce Bowen, is a clutch charity guy. One of his many activities involves running a free one-week camp in his hometown of Fresno, Calif., for at-risk youth. Basketball is one of the activities, but he's said it before that the camp is a chance for these kids to learn more about themselves and about life. I remember some quote about him that the camp wasn't geared toward "finding the next Kobe" it was about truly helping these kids.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Walter Payton had started a major toy and food drive throughout Chicago during his years with the Bears. I believe his widow, Connie, and others are still continuing to work on the cause.

It's more than just a tax break. It's a large-scale undertaking in Chicago, and a big reason why in the eyes of many he'll always be more revered than Michael Jordan.

5. How 'bout Wilt Chamberlain? ;D

He gave it to like 20,000 ladies!

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I remember Steve Smith endowed a chair at Michigan State.

Agassi is awesome.

Perhaps the most influential though, politics aside, has got to be James Brown. There's someone who truly went to the trenches and fought.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Arthur Rhodes

8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Dikembe Mutombo has also done great things. He donated $3.5 million for the construction of that hospital(It was the first one in 40 years) in Nigeria. He also donated another $15 mil for another hospital in Congo.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Once again, Michael Schumacher laps the field....

"In the last four years Schumacher has donated £28million of his personal fortune to charity, including £5.5million, the largest individual donation, to the Asian tsunami fund.

Schumacher cash has found its way to hospitals in Bosnia, orphanages in Peru and schools in Senegal."

Draft saved Draft deleted