1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most overrated actor ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree completely... On all counts... DiCaprio is an outstanding actor. His turn in What's Eating Gilbert Grape is one of the best performances I've ever seen... Affleck is solid as well, but he made several movies for the money and he also got to the point where his relationships were overshadowing his films and that's never a good thing...

As far as Denzel in Training Day, it's definitely an overrated performance by a great actor... I liken it to Pacino in Scent of a Woman, which I thought was one of his worst performances... Washington was so much better in Malcolm X and Glory...

Pacino may be one of the best ever, but it's been a long time since he's been really good in a movie... I consider Devil's Advocate a major guilty pleasure, but his last really great performance was in Heat... To be fair, I haven't seen that Shakespeare movie he did or that Angels in America thing he did for HBO...

But after playing Serpico, Tony Montana and Michael Corleone, Pacino gets a lifetime pass... ;D

2. Mizzougrad96

Ferrell makes the best previews ever... Other than Old School, I have been very disappointed by all of Ferrell's movies. Elf sucked. Anchorman was very overrated. Kicking and Screaming had it's moments, but was nothing more than mediocre...

3. Mizzougrad96

Completely disagree... I've always thought Downey Jr. was incredibly talented, but has never gotten to the level where he should be because of all his drug problems...

4. Mizzougrad96

Sandler deserves to be on this list... I liked him in Punch Drunk Love, Spanglish, and then his very early films like Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore...

A few of his others have been OK, like Waterboy. Longest Yard was OK. Wedding Singer was overrated. 50 first dates was mildly cute.

Anger Management was awful. Click was really stupid.

I like Sandler, but the fact that he's made so many huge $100 million movies blows my mind.

I also think Jim Carrey belongs on this list... Talented, but he makes a ton of bombs...

Where Sandler deserves a ton of credit is how smart he's been with his career. He makes low-budget films that are almost guaranteed to be successful. I'll be curious if he tries to make another movie like Punch Drunk Love or Spanglish again...

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

In the middle of an otherwise intelligent post, you drop in this: "Elf sucked."
    So I'm going to guess you just had a little bit of a braincramp there.
    Elf sucked? Elf was brilliantly inventive. It might have been the best picture of 2003. And the only person who was robbed of an Oscar nom more than Ferrell in his role as Elf was Peter Dinklage, whose scene in the boardroom was maybe the funniest 5-minute piece of film work ever.

6. Mizzougrad96

Yes, Twoback, you read it correctly... I think Elf sucked...

James Caan sleepwalked through the role and Ferrell's "I'm big, but I'm an elf..." schtick got old after five minutes...

For me to hate any movie with the lovely Zooey Deschannel in it, it's got to be pretty bad...

But then again, the movie made about $200 million, so obviously there were people out there who liked it...

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I thought James Caan was oddly cast, and that his performance was curious.
    But the idea was that he was uncomfortable with this goofy son, and so maybe it worked. Either way, it was only one weak point in an otherwise inspired picture. You must have been in a bad mood that day, Mizzou.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Will Ferrell sucks. He is not the least bit funny.

9. See Also:
    Sandler, Adam.
    Fallon, Jimmy.
    Schneider, Rob.
    Kattan, Chris.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't get me started.

11. Frylock

Frylock Member

I wouldn't say the comic actors are overrated because they usually don't have a large body of work outside of the Billy Madisons and Liar Liars. They are who they are.
    Sandler isn't bad, IMO. Nor is Carrey. They do what they are expect to do.
    Chris Kattan is not an actor. Or funny.

12. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

How can Rob Schneider and Jimmy Fallon be overrated? It seems like 99.9% of the world thinks they suck. I don't think I've ever laughed once at Rob Schneider.

Draft saved Draft deleted