1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most overrated actor ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Then you have not seen U.S. Marshalls with Tommy Lee Jones

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

He was good in Weird Science, Johnny B Good, Less Than Zero, Soapdish and Back to School. Everything else? Ehh. Still, five pretty good performances is more than some people in Hollywood.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

In those movies, he was a kid playing Brat Pack formula roles, except for Less Than Zero, where he played a role that most anyone could ham it up for. He's has some good performances, for sure, but overrated, IMO.

4. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Dammit, Pacino is on someone's overrated list? WTF?

The guy's done good work for the past three decades. Yeah, he's tossed some shit out there, but hey, we all gotta eat.

Same goes for Tom Hanks. Good God, how the hell do you criticize Hanks? The guy's won three Oscars (should've been four) and he's dished out very few pitiful performances.

Also, you can't criticize a guy for playing the same character over and over. Because you know as well as I do that the first time that guy attempts a different character, everybody in the world will blast his ass for being unbelievable. At least give actors like Michael Douglas credit for knowing their limits.

And I've changed my list to move Gere to the top. The guy's horrible. You ever watched him attempt to cry in a movie? (Unfaithful) It's like watching a little kid throw a tantrum. It's both painful and funny at the same time.

There are very few actors who you can count on to never mail it in, no matter the role. Johnny Depp immediately comes to mind. But at the same time, every actor has a handful of movies that they'd prefer everyone forget.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Flicks in which Nick Cage was great:

Birdy
    Leaving Las Vegas
    Matchstick Men
    Raising Arizona
    Moonstruck
    Honeymoon In Vegas
    Guarding Tess

That's a pretty stout resume, and it certainly earns him a pass for his godawful "Peggy Sue" performance.
    Which, for the record, was Coppola's fault.
    Because FFC should have had the good sense to shut that down.

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Moonstruck? He was hideous in that. Everyone else was great, but Cage sounded like he was reading from cue cards.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

OK, now you've done it. Meet me out front of the saloon at High Noon and we'll settle this.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK, I'm told they are actors, but...

I've never understood the appeal of Marlon Brando OR Rod Steiger.... does that count?

Twoback will be waiting for you.. .if there's a crowd and you're not sure who he is, just yell "I'm here to meet John Doe."

9. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Just watched Reaves' performance in "Hardball" on TBS. Painful. Adam Sandler -- not funny over and over and over again. Terrible

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sandler may be the biggest head-scratcher.

A comedian who is not funny.

An actor who can't act.

A movie star who ain't even good looking.

But his movies make money.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

kids love him. he's a way likeable guy. kids love him, adults take their kids, movies make righteous bucks. what's the mystery? :eek: :eek: :eek:

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The world has laid untold riches at Sandler's feet for his ability to pull off a decent baby voice.

He sucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted