1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movie scenes that make you cry

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 29, 2007.

1. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

I'm glad someone else feels that way about the Futurama episode. That cartoon actually uses music to melancholy, sweet affect quite well.

2. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

The scene in The Way we Were when Barbra Streisand runs into Robert Redford and his girlfriend in front of the Plaza Hotel, and Redford asks about his kid and the kid's new "father."
    It's what isn't said that's a crusher. Every time.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

For some reason, the reunion at the end of A League of Their Own.

4. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

When Sean Penn finds out his daughter is dead in 'Mystic River'.

Just how realistic his rage/grief is...

P.S. This thread is one of the most spoiler-filled anywhere on the board, ever.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Gets me every time. When I was in junior high 30 years ago, we watched this in PE during a couple rainy days. I was a TA one semester, so I got to watch this twice in one day. Broke me up both times.

For some reason, me as well, TBF. Can't explain it, perhaps the unfulfilled, wistful look on Geena Davis' face when she sees the life dates of Tom Hanks' character on the display.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

The end of Ghost, where Patrick Swayze walks away.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Good choice. I'm sure if I attain fatherhood and I watch this again it'll hit me even harder.

8. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Didn't feel like reading through all 13 pages, so I'll add my two cents and just hope I don't repeat too many on here.
    Movies:
    Remember the Titans (I'm fine until Gerry's accident and that first hospital scene with Julius, then it's all downhill for me)
    Field of Dreams
    Rocky III (come on, man, it's Mickey); interestingly, I wasn't nearly as bothered when Apollo died
    Braveheart
    City of Angels
    The Untouchables (Jimmy Malone rules)
    Dead Poet's Society (O Captain, my Captain)
    Transformers (1986 movie when Optimus Prime dies)

Television:
    Scrubs (My Old Lady; My Screwup; and the end of My Fallen Idol)
    NYPD Blue (Bobby Simone's death)
    ER (Mark Green's letter to the ER staff)

9. I think it's that terrific Madonna song that plays over the closing credits that gets me -- the one that's really about AIDS wiping out the dance-club culture of the 1980's.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Takes a brave man to admit that one. Can't say I cried at that one, though I did enjoy the movie.

"Until that day....'till all are one...."

Here you go, ColbertNation

11. i look at pictures

i look at pictures New Member

I bawled for hours and hours after Turner and Hooch b/c I didn't realize they don't actually kill the dog in real life.

Then again, I think I was 5.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

Fenian: You nailed it about the Madonna song. Well done, sir.

Draft saved Draft deleted