1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movie scenes that make you cry

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 29, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

People cried at Armageddon?

You fuckers better not be dudes.

That movie was horseshit. It made my stomach hurt.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Into The Wild, McCandless turns down Franz's offer. Hal Holbrook's face work in that scene kills me

Shawshank: When Red says, "Get busy livin', or get busy dyin.' That's goddamn right."

When the survivors leave the stones on Oscar's grave in Schindler's List

3. hoopswriter

hoopswriter Member

With you completely on that one because I saw that episode a few weeks after my own mother had died. Amazing how good TV can be sometimes.

4. hoopswriter

hoopswriter Member

A few more...

MASH was great for tearjerkers. Radar leaving his teddy bear on Hawkeye's cot when he leaves; the Henry Blake death; and the final episode. So many great moments in that finale. One of my favorites was Hawkeye and Honeycutt saluting Potter before he leaves.

Simone dying and Sipowicz's son dying on NYPD Blue

In the movies...
    I just saw Independence Day again the other day. When Randy Quaid has decided he's going to fly his plane into the alien spaceship, essentially sacrificing himself, he says over the radio "Tell my children I love them." and his son can hear him say it.
    Miracle and Remember the Titans
    The scene in Friday Night Lights when Tim McGraw's son has finally earned his respect
    And a fantastic movie, Searching for Bobby Fischer, has one of my favorite sports/competition moments, when the kid makes a big move in the championship game and Lawrence Fishburne yells out, "There it is" Something about it gets me.

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Wow, I forgot about Andy Jr. dying. That was rough.

6. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

I saw Field of Dreams when it came out. I vowed then I wanted to see it a second time, but 10 years later.

I needed the affirmation that it would stand the test of time.

I haven't had the heart to see it again. It pushed every guy button there is. I don't need that again.

7. Not a movie, but Anthony Edwards' final episode on ER wins this category hands down.

Anyone who made it through that entire hour with a dry eye?

Heart. Of. Stone.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Anyone mention The Straight Story yet?

I saw that movie on a plane and have to admit I had a lump in my throat when the brothers are gazing at the sky at the end. Very moving. Very well-done movie.

9. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I haven't read through the entire thread, but this was the one I was looking for... I've cried at a bunch of movies which currently escape me, but this one is the most memorable...

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Can't say I welled up, but I love that scene. If I see that movie on, I just have to watch it through to the end to see that scene again. Never gets old.

11. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

TV, but...

first season of star trek: the next generation, when they killed off tasha yar.

so yar gets hit with an energy pulse from this tar alien thing, and is showing no lifesigns. they beam her up to the enterprise, and the doctor works like crazy to bring her back. her comrades are doing the usual concerned look/sheer terror routine...and then captain picard turns his back on the entire scene. doctor finally gives up, and he turns around again pretending to be composed.

the series was still pretty cheesy and the performances rough at that point, but the way patrick stewart showed picard juggling both his grief and the obvious sense of duty was devastatingly effective.

12. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

The entire newsroom was dusty, watching the highlights of that.

Draft saved Draft deleted