1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Made worse by following with bit involving the Players Championship and then plugging it all weekend long on NBC

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Where I went to school, they would have gone with the former. Too many farm kids had to be out by mid-May to help with wheat harvest, which can start as early as Memorial Day.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Aren’t you normally?

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

So for next year's tournament he'll have info from this regular season?

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I'm not personally afraid of it - but I am fearful of it for others. This is going to be a knockout blow for the infirm.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The thing that worries me is, it's not like this virus is going to suddenly vanish. So if we're doing this before the worst of it hits then when does the all clear come? How long can we all endure being in shutdown mode before businesses start to go under and people living paycheck to paycheck get slammed?
    If we make it to April 1 and things stabilize, do we come out of our holes? And then what if we get to April 15 and there is a new wave of cases somewhere? Will we go through this all over again?
    I think people are willing to endure for a few weeks, and accommodations can probably be made to help people weather the storm financially. But unless we're looking at some Black Death type stuff, at some point we all need to try and get back to our lives, right? Otherwise we're screwed either way.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Well, they're just starting to go back to work in Wuhan.
    That became a known thing in January and was full-blown by mid-February.
    So the Chinese are just starting to steady themselves a month later.
    That's heartening. But it's worrisome how much will get caught in the undertow.

lakefront and Inky_Wretch like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That is my fear, that there will be a great winnowing. Nursing homes are petri dishes just waiting for this virus to explode.

9. Neutral Corner

There's a whole lot we don't know about what China actually did, and many of their numbers are suspect. That said, they also have a dictatorial government who can confine people to their homes and make it stick. We can, but things will have to be allowed to get terrible here before the powers that be will actually declare true quarantines and make them stick.

The wild card is does have a state have a smart, energetic, and well supported governor who will step in and grab this crisis by the neck?

Mine doesn't.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

11. Neutral Corner

Oh, that's funny. I can't wait to use that on some poor unsuspecting "Wuhan virus" guy.

12. Neutral Corner

Draft saved Draft deleted