1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Take their hockey away and Canada gets to work!

Liut likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

My parents are in their mid-70s. One has a heart condition. Both are on multiple medications. I live two time zones away. They get their meds by mail and my brother lives within an hour and is going to ferry groceries and anything else they need to them — while wearing a mask. I’ve never been more thankful that they can still take care of themselves.

Donny in his element and maumann like this.
  4. Neutral Corner

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I hear you, dude. They'll be there for each other.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

OK, I laughed out loud at that. So right.

7. Neutral Corner

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Judging by the way the virus has spread throughout the world, I think it's nuts to lay the spread through the US at the feet of Trump. That said, this administration's antagonistic relationship with the press - no daily briefings, casual relationship with facts etc. have really hamstrung its ability to respond to this crisis. They don't have any goodwill in the bank. And the lack of interest in doing a competent job with regard to communications (and the mass firings throughout the administration) give it few credible defenders. This administration made (or didn't make) dozens of decisions in the last three years that led to this point.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Your last sentence belies your first.

This administration made every attempt to dismiss pandemics – even months and months in advance.

And Trump led the way, economically and situationally. You can lay 90 percent of the U.S. crisis at his feet.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

A commander-in-chief who cannot do the job ‘must resign — immediately,’ writes presidential scholar

It’s painfully obvious that no normal person — let alone any typical president — would respond in the way President Donald Trump has.

At each stage, he has lied, he has created confusion, he has made reckless predictions, and he has, once and for all, demonstrated his manifest unfitness to serve.

We may not be able to fix the damage that Trump has already caused, but at least we can stop him from doing any more harm. Public figures ought to be calling on the president to resign from office, to get out of the way and let competent people step in. ...

In a functioning system, elected officials from both major political parties would call for the president’s resignation, and he would be forced to leave office or face impeachment and removal through the constitutional process.

Our system, tragically, has failed. But we must continue fighting against that failure by working to restore the normalcy that has been taken from us. That is what it means to have a constitutional democracy in these deeply troubled times. One step toward restoring normalcy — admittedly, a symbolic step — is insisting that ordinary standards still mean something, that Trump’s failure cannot be glossed over or be set to the side.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

He hasn't even declared it a national emergency yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted