1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't give half a shit about any of that. I want to see my mother.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Come on. You and I both know that had the FDA departed from decades-old patterns and, like Germany, largely outsourced test development to corporations (!!!!!), you and plenty of people like you would have shit a brick.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not sure I'd agree with that under the current circumstance.

I'm the one who's been advocating a C19 Manhattan Project, and a national plan, and clearing old regulatory nonsense out of the way seems to me part of that. Whether we're talking about the FDA or the CDC.

Feel free to privatize whatever parts of that Manhattan Project are deemed necessary for a successful outcome, including testing, tracing, treatment, vaccine production, etc. Just as you would in wartime.

None of that can happen, of course, because we're governed by the Mad King. So our Half-Assed Strategy of Partial Local Lockdowns™ continues.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. doctorquant

"Under the current circumstances" ... of course. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. In, say, mid-January to mid-February? You'd have shit a brick.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Mmmmmmmaybe. (Would have depended on the messaging.)

Mid-March. Nope.

It's August.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are smarter than this. At least, I thought you were.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Heaven forbid we ask the president of the United States and people in his administration to make unpopular decisions for the good of the country.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

History would have been different if they had riblets in 1492,

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. doctorquant

I'm really not busting your chops here. And maybe I'm wrong ... we're aflight in the land of the counterfactual after all. But a HUGE factor in how well Germany has done is that it had a damn good test at the ready early on. And the development of that test was given over, largely, to a handful of big German corporations. I don't think it far-fetched at all to think that Progressives would have flipped the hell out had they been told that the FDA was departing from long-standing practice in doing the same.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Again, maybe. I'd have certainly liked the option of disagreeing with a proposal like that in December or January or February.

By late March New York City was buying refrigerated trailers in which to stack the dead. Morgue Space in NYC Expanded With 45 Cooler Trucks

I think in a state of emergency it's possible to put politics aside.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If Jared's checkbook was involved it's because he had a hundred percent plus markup.

Draft saved Draft deleted