1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

They can do it. Not as dependent on room and meal plan money as many others. Lot of commuter students.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I really would prefer not to make this 'flying back for funerals' thing a habit.

3. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Wasn't it because we didn't want to get overrun and we were? Not because there was enough room to get overrun.
    I would prefer not getting overrun again, please.

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A couple of places were overrun (particularly in that state where on March 25 the governor ordered recovering COVID-19 patients back to nursing homes, and then also barred nursing homes from requiring incoming patients to be tested for COVID-19 prior to admission or readmission.). By and large the nation's health care systems were not overrun at all. Many procedures were needlessly postponed FOR FEAR of a possible overrun that never came.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

For fear of what never came. That keeps getting thrown around by people who just want to throw things open willy nilly and point to look we didn't have the cases or the hospitalizations we thought we would. Yeah because we took steps to prevent it. That was the whole point of cancelling certain procedures. And gee guess what it worked when we actually stuck to it.

7. BTExpress

I agree. But my point is the entire REASONING behind the shutdowns was "protect the hospitals." Mission pretty much accomplished.

Somewhere along the line it turned into "You can't open this or that. Because every opening threatens a LIFE."

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But will these states return to restrictions if cases rise again? I doubt it.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It varies state by state and some of the leaders in various states are idiots, but by and large the only things that aren't open are indoor dining and bars, and spaces that would have large groups of people congregating. Those are things that are all but guaranteed to send transmission rates through the roof.

That is in a country that hasn't been very successful in stopping the spread and is still very vulnerable to the infection rates picking up.

More than 1,000 people a day in this country are dying because of this virus. Even with those measures. It's beyond likely that without those basic measures, a lot more people would be dying. ... AND our health care resources would be stressed, making it so that many more people die.

You have continually done those posts where you point to one thing -- and overstate it to be the ONLY thing that has been driving people's decision making.

SFIND and lakefront like this.
  10. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Yes, my daughters icu was all covid patients. (honestly I dont know where they put the others but can ask if anyone doubts it) They have had none lately except a 40ish y.o. male who has been on a ventilator for months. He may be overweight with diabetes if i remember correct;y. Lots of happy, fat Americans out there. We don't do ourselves any favors as far as health goes.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

12. BTExpress

They probably would if hospitals faced a crisis. But the cases trend has shifted toward younger people, who by and large don't require hospitalization nearly as often.

My red state has certainly delayed loosening restrictions. We went into Phase 2 on May 25. Supposed to last three weeks before next stage kicked in. We're still not at Phase 3 yet. Couple of weeks ago we went into a "Phase 2.5" where gyms and museums could open (at 30 percent capacity), but bars, nightclubs, movie theaters, amusement parks, dance halls and other entertainment facilities are still closed.

Draft saved Draft deleted