1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The 'loss' is incalculable.

Not the number.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm aware. Pretty impressive to put a number the word "incalculable" in the same headline, though. The loss of one person, and all they represent, is incalculable.

The "inexorable" use is even more interesting though.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it is.

The advance of the virus is inexorable.

But we can slow it down. Masks. Distancing. Vaccine. Treatment.

And thereby mitigate the loss.

SFIND likes this.
  4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

So glad there's a regulatory infrastructure in place to guide all matters Coronavirus, big and small ...

Price gouging: a cautionary tale
    Imagine how much worse things would have gone in the Big Apple without such a disinterested and effective regulatory regime!

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

A shame about that one stopping. It was my preferred site, too. I also liked rt.live, but their model(s) behaved so squirrelly -- on October 1 they'd say that Rt in State X had been less 1 since late August, then on October 2 they'd say that Rt in X had been substantially larger than 1 since early September. I'm down with adjusting my priors as new information comes in, but that substantial of an adjustment, on an ongoing basis, starts to raise some pretty serious questions.

maumann likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Point taken.

But not entirely sure why this Economist story is so light on specifics, or why it's appearing in October.

All of this was pretty well and widely covered at the time.

Owners Of Thompson Chemists In SoHo Say They To Fight $14,000 Price Gouging Fine, 'We’re Not Sneaky. We’re Not Thieves'

NYC issues more than 4,000 violations for price gouging

NYC Businesses Accused of Coronavirus Price Gouging

NYC Brings First Price Gouging Case And Says There Are More To Come - Media, Telecoms, IT, Entertainment - United States

Anti-Price Gouging Laws to be Aware of During COVID-19 Emergency | JD Supra

According to the New York Attorney General, New York’s anti-price gouging statute went into effect as of January 31, 2020, when the U.S. Secretary for Health and Human Services declared a national public health emergency for COVID-19. The NY statute prohibits any party within the chain of distribution of essential consumer goods or services (including any manufacturer, supplier, wholesaler, distributor or retail seller, so long as the product was located in the state prior to the sale) from selling or offering to sell such goods or services for an “unconscionably excessive price.” Essential consumer goods or services include those that are vital and necessary for the health, safety and welfare of consumers, and which are used, bought or rendered primarily for personal, family or household purposes.

Whether essential consumer goods or services are being offered and/or sold for an “unconscionably excessive price” is a question of law to be determined by a court.

Emergency Rule: Price Gouging is Illegal

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

No, no. I know why you posted it. No harm, no foul.

Genuinely curious why the Economist took it up at this late date, and with such thin reporting.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I hope they're all Million Milers. That'll move my upgrade status up to the fifth screen instead of the sixth next time.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Hang in there, Driftwood.

Meanwhile, cross-posting from the politics thread:
    Donald Trump’s COVID-19 plan

2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
  11. Neutral Corner

12. Neutral Corner

Draft saved Draft deleted