1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There's some evidence of a modest beneficial effect ...

Vitamin D supplementation to prevent acute respiratory tract infections: systematic review and meta-analysis of individual participant data

The big thing is that even if it has just a little effect, it's ridiculously safe. This isn't my phrasing, but it's like getting a lottery ticket for free: What the hell, why not?

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Out of my domain. Thank you for the information.

I will be interested in the distant years to come to find out, I hope, what natural food(s) or substance(s) would have been most useful in warding off infection.

I've read for instance that cannabis is good and that it's bad.
    One of these positions is bullshit. We just don't know which.
    "COVID likes healthy lung tissue." Yeah, that wouldn't explain why asthmatics are in a risk pool. Or why children are mostly unaffected.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Maybe the Vitamin D has kept my COVID fairly mild. I take a once-a-week Vitamin D pill prescribed by my doctor and have for nearly two years now. I got real low a couple of winters ago because the weather had been crap, and I hadn't been outside much. She put me on that, and I just keep taking it. I'm obviously outside in the sun enough March-November to keep my numbers up, but the winter months are hit and miss. Honestly, I think I pay 17 cents for a 12-week supply, and it seems to keep me in order.

4. doctorquant

I started reading the Vitamin D stuff and promptly hauled my ass to Kroger and got a bottle of pills. With my golf and my sailing it's highly unlikely I'm deficient, but then again ... as re: Vitamin D you really can't be too careful.
    I take 1,000 IU a day.

Inky_Wretch and maumann like this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

HA! I was right in the middle of a nice sip of white zin when I saw this. Well done.

"Eric Stratton, rush chairman, damn glad to meet ya!"

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My doctor put me on a daily Vitamin D about five years ago. I also take a multivitamin each day as well as a zinc tablet.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

UAMS has been pretty spot on with its forecasting of Covid in Arkansas. I sure hope they got this wrong. This shows we have another 12 months of cases higher than we have now.

Attached Files:

10. doctorquant

Observational studies aren't "irresponsibly bad" science ... they should just be taken with a substantial amount of caution. It may well be the case that all limitations and cautions are emphasized in the piece in question (which isn't linked). This is definitely some bad science (!!!!!) reporting, though.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    FileNotFound likes this.
  11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Difference, distinction, etc.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I barely blinked and we are now at 9 million infected with Captain Trumps ... which is more like 90 million infected really.

I hope like hell that if people do lose COVID immunity over time, the second time around is more like what the coronavirus really should be ... a common cold.

Otherwise we'll just keep losing 2% at a shot.

Draft saved Draft deleted