1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Another call from Emergency Services. Tennessee is in a state of uncontrolled spread and parents are whining about schools not having "Creesmuss portees n' nuthin' better happin ta mah baybee's holiday prawm." I swear someone needs to pour bleach in the gene pool here.

In other news, my ex-sister-in-law threw a tantrum and now DeNephew is flying out to see her in December. He's offered to drive by and wave. I've tried to appeal to reason and the prospect of deadly cooties. It occurs to me that they're stealth Trump supporters and think all of this is just liberal posturing. Is he coming out Christmas? No. He and his wife are flying to Hawaii. They're young. Can't this wait a year? I guess not. I am going to be worried this holiday.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

3. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

I went to a restaurant this evening in the Houston area to pick up a birthday dinner for takeout. The place was packed with people, unmasked. In my FB feed at the same time I see celebratory posts by people going out with their family to restaurants as well...some of which just recovered from COVID, so you'd think they of all people would know better.

We're fucked, aren't we?

maumann likes this.
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Jesus. These governors need to be punished all to hell next election.

OscarMadison, SFIND and maumann like this.
  6. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

Are any of you here changing your Thanksgiving plans? My son's coworker has been exposed, the coworker is quarantining. He lives away from us and wouldn't be coming anyway. My daughter is a teacher, remote only high school, but goes into the building to Zoom. Another teacher that goes into the building has tested positive. My daughter has stopped going into the building for now. Up to now she (and our g'kids) have been part of our "pod". It's anxiety producing how we should continue.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

This is such a smart move. Makes total sense. To Tal sense.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WJHL) – A measure has been introduced to the Tennessee House of Representatives which would roll back health departments’ autonomy but instead, during health emergencies, place authority with elected county mayors.
    State Rep. Jason Zachary (R-Knoxville) filed the legislation for 2021, designed to scale back the power of Tennessee’s six independent metropolitan health departments during their response to a county-wide health emergency.
    Any county health director, health officer and board of health would move to an advisory role, while elected county mayors would have the final authority to establish and implement policies in response to a county-wide health emergency.

This is coming from a guy from Knox County, whose mayor is former WWE wrestler Kane and a big MAGA type. He doesn't want many (any) restrictions or mandates. The Knox County health officials have issued orders anyway. Knoxville's mayor has told him to piss off, and you come into the city limits, you'd better follow the rules.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This second wave was completely predictable.

We canceled Thanksgiving and Christmas in August.

Not sure why at this late stage anyone anywhere thinks these things can still be made to happen except among people already sharing a quarantine.

OscarMadison, SFIND and maumann like this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Thanksgiving will be Alice and I alone. It is still possible my son and his fiancee will come up from New York for an extended Christmas-New Year's stay. They're very careful to get tested before they leave Brooklyn, even just to go to Long Island for a long weekend this weekend. But it's also possible they won't.

maumann likes this.
  12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm pulling the plug on going to that friendsgiving in light of the continued surge. Just don't feel good about it. Just depressing to see how badly this has spiraled out of control in the last few weeks.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted