1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

If southwestern Missouri is any indication of the rest of the country, we're screwed.

Here's the current count:

My sister, the MD
    Her ex-husband, the district attorney
    Ex-husband's current wife
    Daughter #1 in Fayetteville, Ark. who came home to visit Dad
    Son #2 who rode in car with Dad

According to the family Zoom chat on Sunday night, it appears to be a (dead) Badge of Courage to not only ignore common sense health suggestions, but to flaunt your unwillingness to follow said rules -- Lisa said no one in their county wears a mask anywhere, which is why Don got it at the courthouse (and spread it not only to his family, but also voted in person despite knowing he was positive).

Lisa got it at a wedding where nobody wore masks or practiced social distancing. Her entire office staff has had it. She had two elderly patients die last week and 13 others died in a nursing home in town this month after it was spread by a nurse's aide. Lisa still has no sense of smell or taste.

They've just accepted the idea that they aren't willing to change any of their behaviors just because there's a raging pandemic killing 250,000-plus people. And there's no contract tracing because people who get it there just disappear for two weeks and don't tell anybody else, like she did when she was in quarantine. Apparently one of her other kids' teachers has been absent for the past two weeks, and dollars to donuts, it's COVID. That daughter is now virtual schooling until Thanksgiving.

In fact, she said the local clinics won't even test because it's a waste of time. Nobody's negative. They're either asymptomatic (contagious as hell) or enjoying the benefits of "it's not any worse than the flu."

The rest of us were just speechless at this admission. Why on earth would anyone, particularly someone with an M.D., not think this wasn't serious enough to take extra precautions to protect themselves, let alone their families or patients?

As you can imagine, Gwen and I won't be visiting Springfield for any additional high school or college graduations -- if they make it to then. We'll just wave at the computer camera.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    OscarMadison, qtlaw and SFIND like this.
  2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Too much money in corn subsidies and empty calories.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Oh, so "fat people" is why the virus spread more here and throughout the West. Got it.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He's been banging that drum for months.

SFIND likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sounds exactly like northwest Arkansas.

On the way back from the deer woods today, I stopped in a small town called Cedarville at a gas station/grocery/restaurant. I was the only one in a mask (but not the only one in camo). Even the women working at the store weren’t wearing them.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Wasn't my point. At all. Getting real tired of saying that to people who read stuff into posts that isn't there.

Somebody made the point that "Asians wear masks as a part of normal routine." The inference being "So why can't we?"

So I simply pointed out another cultural difference. One that also will never be adopted. To show that it's not always as simple as "Just do what THEY do "

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Helluva thread.

OscarMadison and TigerVols like this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Swedish model going great!

9. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Uh huh.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You pointed out a cultural difference that we are too fat to deflect from the fact I was arguing that Fauci was not advocating restrictions: He was advocating being cautious as we reopen by wearing masks ... like Asian countries.

SFIND likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Swedish models always make my graph spike.

HanSenSE and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted