1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Damn. This is heartbreaking.
    Take care of yourself. First and foremost. Don’t be afraid to seek counseling.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Thoughts and prayers, Amy. I am sorry about your mom and hope the rest of your family recovers.

3. Driftwood

Ho. LEE. Crap.
    60 Minutes had a piece tonight about "Post COVID Acute Syndrome" and watching it gave me PTSD.
    It was about a gajillion percent spot on with what I've been experiencing.
    Shit ain't good, y'all.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This is why Trumpists talk about the mortality rate, which is going to be 10x the rate of the flu. They refuse to acknowledge the true impact of this thing.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  5. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

My friend, “long hauler” COVID is nothing to trifle with.

I send my best!

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Mother trucker.

My heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

How so?

8. Driftwood

Lingering effects that come out of nowhere: fatigue, headaches, shortness of breathe, unexplained pains, brain fog.
    The fatigue is the biggie. I go to work and come home totally wiped out. It's not like I'm stacking boxes in a warehouse, either.
    Yesterday morning, I walked 3.5 miles with no issues. Yesterday afternoon, my wife cut back our rose bushes for the winter. I got the wheelbarrow to haul off the clippings, and when I got done, I was literally on the ground. We're not talking a wheelbarrow load of rocks. It might as well been weightless, but out of the blue, I had to lay on the ground to rest.
    Every person they talked to had similar experiences.

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I used to lift for hours a day. I work a physically demanding job on an assembly line. I can do backbreaking labor for hours on end. I was a machine.

The first time I lifted weights three months after getting Covid-19, I thought I’d finally recovered. I felt great and thought I’d paced myself using pretty modest amounts of weight and abbreviated sets. The next morningI felt like I was back at football two-a-days. I couldn’t put my arms above my head or wash my hair without assistance for two weeks.

Every two months or so I now get a numbness up under my rib cage and severe back pain. Once in a great while I’ll get shortness of breath.

I’m most scared of what my 22-month old son’s lungs will be like for the rest of his life. What kind of health problems he might face that we have no idea about yet. I’ve accepted this might take years off my life. I can’t bear what it might do to him. I try not to think about it or blame myself too much that I might’ve brought it into our house. But it’s hard not to.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Covid-19: Oxford University vaccine is highly effective

Also the story says vaccine is more transportable (I assume that means no extreme refrigeration), so it would be easier to vaccinate people in warmer, developing nations.

The Oxford vaccine was the first in development, so it has that going for it.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Their vaccine is a traditional adenovirus vaccine, and they started out trying to develop it as a single dose vaccine. But their work determined that multidoses may be more effective, so they sort of switched on the fly. Their trial ended up trying to it two ways -- as a full dose followed by a full dose. And a half dose followed by a full dose. Oddly, the two full doses proved 62 percent effective, but the half dose followed by the full dose proved 90 percent effective, according to them.

They had to report the full results, though, and averaged them, because 1) these are rushed trials and are not that large for a vaccine, and 2) to get regulatory approval, they need to prove its safety so they need the safety data right now for the less effective regimen.

What is interesting is that the messenger RNA vaccines -- which are sort of a new thing -- are proving more effective than the traditional approach, if the results that have been released so far hold up.

maumann and Spartan Squad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted