1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Out in my part of the world, our county had it down to less than 200 cases per day over the summer and are now back into the low four-figures.

When things looked better in May/June, I played in some private hockey pickups that some friends of mine ran. I got an invite again for this week, and I'm incredibly tempted, but I would feel like an idiot if I made it this far and got myself killed doing something unnecessary when we're this close to the vaccine hitting and a normal spring.

There's also a beer league that's started running against the law and under the radar a few months ago. I skipped it then, but I agreed to join a team for the new season that start in late January. That's probably optimistic on my end, I might end up paying for my spot and missing a chunk of the season, but I really believe we'll be in good shape pretty soon.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Moddy, that is terrible to hear. I hope for all good outcomes.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Damnit. I'm sorry. Hoping they quickly recover.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

In good shape, as you’ve said elsewhere, only because we’ve sacrificed thousands of lives over the past year.

RickStain likes this.
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What's going to be difficult to distinguish in many cases is long-term "effects of COVID" vs. long-term "effects of shit going wrong because the body ages and invariably has problems."

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Sounds like it’s right up your alley.

Junkie likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

What Sam said. Your recovery is a marathon, not a sprint, and all that pushing too hard is going to do is leave you exhausted and dispirited. Accept the reality that you're simply going to be forced to take it easy for a while. If you had been hurt in a car wreck you wouldn't be out trying to do physical labor. Try to accept with grace that you have taken body shots from this disease and allow yourself a time of weakness. It's not a failing on your part somehow.

wicked and Driftwood like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

So sorry, Moddy. It hurts to hear these stories of people hurting and under stress and not to be able to do anything to help.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I’m sorry. Fingers crossed for a good recovery.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Strength to all y'all, man.

11. Neutral Corner

Ok, it's Reddit, so grain of salt, but...

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It doesn't take a particularly sophisticated model to see it. We've got 8 weeks until Inauguration and are currently averaging 1.2 million new confirmed cases per week. Rt is currently estimated to be above 1 and we've got Thanksgiving and Christmas incoming.

If anything, I think that's probably a low guess.

Twirling Time and Neutral Corner like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted