1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I imagine with their "successful" effort of thwarting mask mandates - the anti-maskers are setting their sights now on the No Shirts, No Shoes, No Service polices.

[​IMG]

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's "No Shirts, No Shoes, No Dice!"

(followed by stoned laughter).

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They piled into a building full of booze during a pandemic because Trump.

You know dilutes public officials' warnings? Constant, unrelenting warnings. The messaging is not working. Millions of people are being true hypocrites - saying one thing, doing another in stealth, because to say another thing out loud is punishable by the shame mob. People need to see people. They want to see people. So they go do that and say they're not because human beings are human.

Again: My FB timeline, in recent weeks has been flooded with people who got it and did all the right things, exclaiming MASKS WORK. Some will even write the words "I debated even posting this." That's how strong the shame is. That's how ineffective the messaging has been. People getting a disease and feeling like villains.

4. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

That is what AIDS was like, as well.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

6. BTExpress

It also doesn't help when you see people somehow forecasting lifetime consequences from a disease no one has had for more than a year.

"Permanent heart/lung damage?" Certainly possible. But bodies haven't even had enough time to heal themselves yet. And they're pretty good at it.

Here is a graphic I saw the other day:

[​IMG]

How the fuck does anyone know that "for every one person who dies from COVID, three will have strokes"?

For months we were told "WE DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS VIRUS!" and now we're predicting strokes (among other things) years into the future?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    TigerVols likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

They're probably just guessing. That's how scientists work, right? Just throwing shit against walls? They base those estimates on nothing. Nothing at all.

SFIND likes this.
  9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I'm old enough to remember the frightening scale of the spread of AIDS in the eighties and worked as a volunteer for the NAMES Project. We used to get together with family members to help them sew panels. One evening we had four (?) five (?) families seated around tables talking about the people we were memorializing in quilt form.

One mother said, "He did everything he was supposed to do. How could he get it right and still get AIDS? Did he lie to me?"

It was an E.F.Hutton moment. The room got very quiet. A woman at another table finally broke the silence.

"Nothing is one hundred percent. What we have now can help people have less of a chance of getting it. Condoms slip and break. People forget and do things they shouldn't and it doesn't register because we are used to being safe. Your son and my nephew probably slipped that one time and there they are and here we are."

The woman who answered that mother was a nurse who had taken in her nephew when his parents kicked him out. She said they'd had frank talks about sex before AIDS was even GRIDS. The only difference was she called it "Smart Sex" in an effort to avoid STDs.

Some of my Reaganite friends who eventually helped me give out condoms back then are pro-mask. They see the value of it and understand it's not a silver bullet, just a way to slow down the spread until that silver bullet comes along. I, no, I think I can safely say we, are gobsmacked that this is even a talking point.

10. Jerry-atric

11. BTExpress

I don't even know if what I posted came from "science." The only attribution I see is "Professional Writer."

That's because a lot of stuff gets passed around as ultimate fact that simply may not be so.

12. Jerry-atric

Many of them utilize data.

Draft saved Draft deleted