1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What is important in this moment? Who gets to decide?

The UCLA thing...there's tons of tests out there. Enough for Chip Kelly's crew and the frontline workers.

The Pac-12 is paying for the football team's tests. The Pac-12 has the money to do so and has a vested interest in the football team playing games on TV, so it is paying for UCLA to be absurdly healthy and COVID-free to play those games.

The Pac-12 is not responsible for the UCLA Medical Center. UCLA is.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

There was an increase in stroke cases, especially among a younger demographic. That led to an increased mortality rate among Covid sufferers. So 3 for ever 1 death could possibly be in the realm of truth, but it is likely double counting. It isn't stroke or death it is likely stroke that leads to death. I haven't found a source that definitively says the stroke rates for people with Covid if it is running at 3 percent of cases.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The Pac-12 is not responsibly but it is wildly messed up that there are so many resources being poured into a game but the people trying to save lives aren't getting resources poured into them. And why doesn't the Pac-12 or the member schools have a vested interest in the people who will be tending to athletics staffs and players if they get sick? How much good will would they get if they said they will donate a certain number of tests to medical professionals while athletic seasons are on going? Or hell, hold text donation line during games where people can donate $5 toward providing a test to medical professionals at the universities or surrounding communities.

Mngwa likes this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You answered my question, just because they are getting paid doesn’t mean it’s right. Football over workers. Wrong choice IMHO.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

And here.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm doubtful that India COVID counts can be trusted. I mean, millions of residents there don't even shit in toilets, so we're supposed to believe they have accurate test distribution?

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The 10-35% have “Nuerological Symptoms!” (Dun dun dunnnnnnn) long-term are still relying on self-reported surveys and as far as I can tell most of the symptoms are hard to differentiate from the symptoms of stress and depression

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That’s just speculation. Show some work. I think that Yemen is corrupt but I have no information to support that. Are we going to make decisions based on known facts or “a feeling?”

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

News-American died in 1984. An afternoon paper going against a competitor with both morning and evening papers just seems so quaint. But it died long before the Internet. I was in the Sun newsroom as a HS intern when it happened.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Neutral, what does "limited service" restaurant mean. Fast food? Outdoor dining only? It's kind of a nebulous term to me.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Check, check, and check.
    Covid brain is real.
    Something is going on in my throat (I'm not having problems breathing or swallowing, it's just off)
    Random pains from the bottoms of my feet, chest (not like "CHEST PAINS" but just hurting in that area), back of my neck.
    I woke up at 2 a.m. today because I popped awake and couldn't go back to sleep.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted