1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That headline is a bit misleading, I think. They don't want another expanded supplementary Federal benefit, the way the proposal that was on the table has it. But what Mnuchin agreed to is an extension of the unemployment benefits that are set to expire at the end of the year. It's only "dramatically lower" if the new baseline is the emergency bill they rushed through last time around.

I am not taking the side of the Republicans or this White House, because there were Republicans, including Mitch McConnell, who favored the expanded benefit BEFORE the election when they thought it would buy them votes (demonstrating just how principled they are), but the extended Federal benefit they did the first time around had a lot of people taking home more in unemployment benefits than they had been earning when they had a job. That rubbed a lot of people wrong, who weren't getting money like that but struggling along. Also, as much as everyone turns this into a straight good vs. evil McScrooge thing, we are fiscally on a cliff due to all the runaway debt our Federal government was running up for the decade and a half before the pandemic. It's not like all of these Santa Claus bills don't have a huge cost. In particular, Jeff Gundlach (Doubleline Capital) was doing one of his periodic webinars last night, and he had two graphs: One showing that our debt to GDP levels are like a straight moonshot now, and beyond what the country did during WII, and then a graph showing that the marginal benefit of the spending is falling hard to the point that every dollar of government spending now is only giving us 30 cents of aggregate economic growth. Yet, we still owe the dollar plus whatever interest for it.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Thank you Indiana, thank you Florida, thank you North Carolina, thank you disillusionment

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

My friend's daughter, who is in her mid-20s, was in this boat and had zero interest in looking for work early on in this thing because of this exact reason. What was it, $600 a week? A lot of servers/bartenders at non high-end places would struggle to make that while working.

wicked likes this.
  8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

And they’re providing more actual value to society by staying home and not contracting/spreading the disease, and should be compensated accordingly.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Who says they were "staying home"? They just "weren't working." Who says they weren't attending gatherings, hosting gatherings? Lots of idle time on their hands, making more money than when they were working. Hard to picture someone in his/her mid-20s just sitting around binge-watching TV.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I ask you, since you're in the weeds on this...

Could all but the most vulnerable just get the first dose for now, so we could spread out the supply at the moment?

Maybe the rest of us need to restart the regime and do two more shots later, like next year, which is a pain, but it might help in reopening the country.

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

If you look at $31,200 a year and think “holy shit this is great! I’m not even going to look for work!”, you need to revaluaate.

JC and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  12. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

That is a very good point.

Draft saved Draft deleted