1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Spun by who?

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

UAB researcher develops at home COVID-19 antibody testing kit

“You get the vaccine and you don’t really see or feel anything and you wonder if it worked or not,” he said. “This test would allow you to see right in your own hand, ‘hey my immune system is making antibodies and is protecting me from COVID’. Knowing who has immunity will help us understand if the vaccines are working, because they work for almost everybody, but there is going to be a small percentage of people that they don’t work for.”

He said the test being an at-home kit makes it more widely accessible and easier than going to the doctors office and he said it’s also more accurate. He said his test is 95% accurate and 20% more sensitive than the gold standard antibody test.

“One of the problems with current antibody tests is you can sometimes pick out people’s common cold antibodies and mistake them for COVID antibodies,” Larimer said. “We have sort of carefully designed ours so it will not pick up common cold antibodies.”

Dr. Larimer said after you know your vaccine worked, antibody tests can also help you know for how long, which is important for long-term immunity monitoring.

“We know now that the vaccine works,” Larimer said. “But, we don’t know how long is it going to protect us for. People can test whether the vaccine worked for them and also continue to test in the future to know when it might be time to get a booster.”

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don’t expect vaccinated people to stop wearing masks until everyone does, but I do think vaccinated people (wait until the period has passed after the second dose to be absolutely sure) are safe to gather with each other. In a month or two when it’s common to know plenty of fully vaxxed people, I wouldn’t feel bad at all about having some over to my home.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Dippin' Dots are probably what Phil Spector eats in Hell.

People used to ask where the Dippin' Dots kiosk was at Bridgestone. I'd tell them to follow the trail of melting ice cream on the floor.

garrow and TigerVols like this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The mean age of study participants was 65. I’d like to see a study with a lower average age.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

In general, people hospitalized by covid tend to have a lot of other shit going on.

But it’s still true that this virus is nasty and some number of “recoveries” come with severe issues that could kill them later.

7. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

And the anti maskers will say, "I don't have to wear a mask, I had the vaccine".

8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

generally speaking, I expect vaccinated people will stop wearing mask as soon as they're vaccinated. That's how this country rolls

9. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

It is shameful.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Minidisc players, too.

poindexter and OscarMadison like this.
  11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

3D TVs

12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

You mean like this? I still have mine and have an irrational affection for it. It's frustrating that my computer can't talk to it anymore. Did that stop with Windows 8? #OscarIsOld

sony_mzr700_blue.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted