1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

So ... you think 580,000 people in this country died by complete accident?

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Go look at the CDC figures for flu over the last winter. Compare that figure to the last five years, without masking, hand washing/disinfection, and social distancing. Flu was next to nonexistent this year. Those simple public health measures *work*. That's why they're Public Health 101.

I submit that the Covid death numbers without those efforts would have been well over six million. Run the percentage of death by Covid against 70% of the population for yourself.

3. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Many researchers now say the COVID 19 virus originated in a Wuhan laboratory. So technically speaking, my friend, this has all been a terrible accident.

4. Jerry-atric

One must credit “Drumpf,” to some degree.

5. Neutral Corner

I'll credit Trump for pushing for vaccine manufacture and cutting red tape. As in most parts of his governing, it was poorly executed, but he did it. I have not forgotten that Trump's version of a successful vaccine program was "The first trucks of vaccine have left the loading dock!".

I also submit that Big Pharma 1. Saw an urgent need and 2. Knew they'd make a shitpot full of money. It would have happened anyway, faster or slower, under any President.

OscarMadison and Jerry-atric like this.
  6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Am I disappointed that I didn't get to be one of the first 10 people to break the Nuge news here? Yes, but I'm proud of all you.

We divorced freedom and patriotism fully during the second Iraq war if not well before. At that point "freedom" came to mean the ability to do what you want without significant interference from regulation and authorities and, after Trump, decorum.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

8. Neutral Corner

Oh, bullshit.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A year ago many thought we could just hide, distance, shutter and mask our way out of it. They interpreted "flatten" the curve as "quash" the curve. "Flatten" the curve ALWAYS insisted that the SAME number of people eventually would be infected . . . just over a longer period (to save hospitals). Yet we treated every new case as a moral failing, which is why we see so many "I did everything right! I don't know how I contracted it!" messages.

Sweden didn't impose many efforts on its citizens. Your "six million" estimate for the US would translate to 191,000 Swedish deaths. They have 13,788. Why?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  11. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

The absence of flu juxtaposed with the rampant nature of this coronavirus should be enough for people to understand for how contagious it is. But instead they've decided that drs are saying every illness is Covid. It's infuriating.

SFIND and OscarMadison like this.
  12. Jerry-atric

My friend, vaccinated people are gettin’ busy gettin’ busy!

Draft saved Draft deleted