1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Of course people who actually live in Sweden aren't googling furiously to try to create a false history, having lived through a tough time because of the virus.

Early on when their state epidemiologist was telling everyone not to wear facemasks, go about life as usual, etc., they were all charter members of his fan club.

When things got really bad there, most notably when scores of nursing home residents were dying -- and protecting them was supposed to be at the forefront of his strategy -- its hospitals were overwhelmed, and they looked at the other Scandinavian countries that were faring much better, they were calling for his head.

Reality is reality.

SFIND likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And yet . . . they have more people than New Jersey, and half as many COVID deaths.
    They have better per capita death numbers than more than half the United States, including the Trumpist states of NY, Calif., Mass., NJ, RI, Conn., Pa., Ill., Mich. and Nev.

You can define success (or failure) by any means you're willing to cherry pick.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Because the study I linked looked head-to-head at COVID statistics between Sweden and all other Nordic countries, specifically trying to gauge the difference of Sweden's response or lack thereof.

Your use of "yours," and "mine," is pretty telling.

Then why do you constantly post the same arguments over and over every chance you get? What is your obsession in wanting to argue over it?

4. The Big Ragu

No.

Objectively, their strategy either was smart, it was dumb or it was a wash.

You are the one doing the endless cherry picking to back your pre-ordained conclusions.

You just compared Sweden to New Jersey. Why not compare it to Mars?

Sweden is a country. New Jersey is a state in a country that is nowhere near Sweden.

Just in terms of things that might impact an infectious disease pandemic. ... Sweden has 58 people per square mile. New Jersey has 1210 people per square mile! The average household size in Sweden is 1.9 people. The average household size in New Jersey is 2.7 people. I am not going to waste my time even trying to quantify this just because you created another rabbit hole, but I will bet with absolute certainty that people with comorbidities are a great deal greater in New Jersey than in Sweden.

You are doing kindergarten analyses because you have this narrative you want to push -- the truth or falsehood of it doesn't matter, you have just decided it's so.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

As it happens, I work very closely with a company whose office is in Sweden. I’ve made several trips there the last few years, and I feel like I know enough Swedes and enough Swedish culture to comment intelligently on this.

Swedes like to be told what to do even less than Americans do, and their level of “don’t-give-a-fuck” is very, very high. The Swedes I know believed they were handling it better than anywhere else in the world ... right up to the point where they started getting sick. And of the eight with whom I work the most closely, seven got COVID between September and January, and one was really sick in December but she says it was something else.

The people I know have changed their opinions about how their government handled things. Small sample size, but passed on from personal knowledge.

And for data comparison: Sweden is the size of California, with the population of North Carolina. Stockholm is a very typical big city, but much of Sweden is rural and the rest of it is towns and small cities about the size of Cedar Rapids or Roanoke.

TigerVols likes this.
  6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Population per square mile:
    New Jersey 1,210
    Rhode Island 1,017
    Massachusetts 858
    New York 417
    Connecticut 285
    California 246
    Illinois 232
    Michigan 175
    Sweden 57.5

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

BTE is mad because after all his defending of the greatest command economy to ever fail, when given a slight taste of government controlling what stores you can and cannot go to he didn’t like it. Must be hard when your dream comes crashing down because in the name of giving a damn about other people’s health, you actually had to live your dream.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

(Hermes nods silently as he notes his wife is of Swedish descent.)

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

10. The Big Ragu

Even that doesn't really capture population density well. ... apples and oranges really matter with the kind of comparison he keeps trying to make. In a state like New Jersey, it is pretty much people packed in. So the population density looks really high. ... and it is.

In a state like New York, it looks lower. ... but 75 percent of the people in the state are packed into New York City, Long Island and the lower part of Westchester. ... while a big area of the state is pretty unpopulated.

Sweden's population is more evenly spread out than that. So the relative population densities make them look more similar than they even are (even though there is a big difference between 57.5 per sq mile and 417 per sq mile). 75 percent of the population of the state lives in New York City and Long Island -- a very small part of the entire state. ... by contrast, only about 15 to 20 percent of people in Sweden live in Stockholm, the only city of any size. The rest are pretty spread out around the country.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Virginia's gov did not publicize this other than posting the executive order on his website, but the state opened bar seating back up last night, effective immediately. In related news, I'm fully vaxxed as of today, so I'll see y'all at the bar after work.

12. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Are you concerned about Dr. Fauci’s warnings regarding waiting just a little while longer?

Draft saved Draft deleted