1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I slept poorly for three nights after getting Moderna 2.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The worst part of getting Covid for me was not the shortness of breath, which was awful. It was not being able to sleep more than 45 minutes at a time, perpetual sleep deprivation for three weeks.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't agree with that take at all. It has nothing really to do with being online 24/7. In general, I believe if you want to get vaccinated, you'd have figured it out by now. Just like if you are hungry, you figure out a way to make yourself a sandwich.

4. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I got my second Moderna on Friday. The pharmacy, like many in the area, had walk-ins available and nobody was coming. So he was heading out to some company to give people their shots on site. Four weeks ago, when I went for my first, it was tough to get an appointment anywhere. A friend who's a pharm tech got me in. A month later, they're out of people wanting it. And I doubt it's because people don't know how to get it. Every pharmacy, including WalMart, Sam's, etc., has a sign saying "walk-ins accepted" or something of that nature. Nobody's going in.

SFIND likes this.
  5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You're assuming 100% of the country has made the binary decision that they either do or don't want to get vaccinated. Righty McRighty on the podcast's take was that a sizeable chunk of the population has not really considered the question yet, and that's what I'm agreeing with.

Case in point:
    I was at Von's yesterday and I asked the 40-something Hispanic checker lady, "have you gotten your vaccine yet?" She said, "No, not yet. I haven't gotten around to it..."
    Is she anti-vaxxer? Or is she simply someone who needs the shot made available at a tent in front of her store?

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Once those of us who have been vaccinated start moving on with life and frankly stop caring who else is or isn’t, many of the ones who were holding out to own the libs will very quietly slink back to get theirs, even if they deny it to their last day.

garrow, Alma, Baron Scicluna and 2 others like this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's semi-amazing that a country where there's an annual evergreen news story about taxpayers mobbing the post offices on April 15 would be surprised many people are putting off getting vaccinated for one procrastinator's reason or another.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

You question strangers about their vaccination status?

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

My wife's very conservative family, like rehash all the current talking points as gospel and always adjust based on current day talking points and have forever, is almost 100 percent vaccinated. The only one who isn't, of course, is the sister-in-law who actually had COVID the worst (hospitalized, lasted for weeks). I agree that many more have or will than are outwardly preaching. It's such a weird thing to stand your ground on.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I hear you. I just don't agree.
    And with your 40-something hispanic checker lady anecdote, I think there is a very decent chance that she has made up her mind, isn't getting the vax, and doesn't want to get into it with the guy in the checkout line. "I haven't gotten around to it" is a convenient way to avoid a confrontation.

11. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

She probably was taken aback by the “prying” question when she was simply trying to scan some soda pops!

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There have been many many public opinion surveys on this, and they all show that the "still making up my mind and/or haven't got around to it" cohort is as large or larger than the "not me, never" cohort. And incidentally, most of the folks in that former group have no political identity. They're non-voters.

Draft saved Draft deleted