1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Mask mandates will end. If people still choose to wear them, they're more than free to. It should be a personal choice at this point.

Patchen, garrow and lakefront like this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Sure does. Did you have to provide proof of vaccination?

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I did not. I suppose she could have been lying but it's my regular place so I hope trust was a factor, ha.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am going to retire on what I have saved on haircuts the last 14 months.

I have no desire to go to a barber with or without a mask on.

6. tapintoamerica

This is a tough day for Trumpists. They'll find something else to complain about, but the "fedruhl overreach" card will soon be taken from their deckkkk.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And, of course, it happened to A Yankee. The whole baseball media world revolves around The Yankees. Never mind the Padres on the covid-IL, this is The Yankees.
    (Think I need blue font?)

8. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I guess I'm overly cautious and paranoid, because I think this move is coming too soon.

Now people won't get vaccinated. They'll just claim that they have so they don't have to wear a mask. And I bet cases jump.

I just worry that without a larger vaccinated population, this thing will mutate and become more serious again.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  9. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

This is a marathon, not a sprint.

10. tapintoamerica

Gonna be interesting to see what happens.
    Surprised at this announcement. Is the CDC saying that herd immunity is not that big of a deal or that it can be achieved at a lower threshold than previously claimed?

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's saying neither. It's just acknowledging the real-world evidence that the vaccines are very effective. Your chance of being infected once vaccinated is fairly low. If you do get infected, you are much less likely to get into a dire health situation. And your chances of spreading the virus are greatly reduced.

That has nothing to do with herd immunity. The number of people who are refusing to get vaccinated may very well keep us from reaching herd immunity, and as long as the virus is still spreading the way it is, those people are very much at risk.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think they're getting away from the messaging that herd immunity is the way out of this, because it's probably unachievable.

Cases may rise, but as long as hospitalizations and severe cases continue to drop, we'll be in decent shape.

Draft saved Draft deleted