1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

So I have vehemently pushed back on my friends and acquaintances who have proffered the THEORY about COVID arising from a Chinese lab in Wuhan because I did not see any credible support other than trying to demonize the Chinese government and blame someone. Well lookie here:

U.S. intel report identified 3 Wuhan lab workers who fell ill in 2019

I guess its more than some fearmongering rumor, but still how about people blame only the Chinese govt. and refrain from demonizing those of us who's families have been here over a century (grandpa came in 1910)? Is that too much to ask?

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So the going theory is that the Chinese deliberately created a mutant virus to kill us all and also any steps taken towards mitigation are a hysterical overreach designed to destroy our freedom. Is that what we’re going with?

SFIND and Mngwa like this.
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

So that's what you take from my post? I guess my writing is a bit unclear. I'll work on that.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

By giving credence to the theory that the virus came from the lab doesn’t mean one is saying China did it on purpose.
    I see it more like a Chernobyl-type fuckup.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    wicked, WriteThinking, Hermes and 3 others like this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

No it is what I see the GOP setting up on the tee box, contradictory logic be damned. And their violent yokel constituency will nod right along.

SFIND likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'll give him his last words: "I regret that I have but one life to live to pwn the liburls with."

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Rand Paul: on the road to DaMASKus

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I mean, that article passed speculation as a real explanation of what happened using something that happened in the 50s and interviews with people who had no knowledge of the tracing of the covid origin as proof. He was hocking a book. Forgive me if I declared shenanigans on that article.

SFIND likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No, you may have characterized it that way. Or you are now. But the writer went to pains to say that what he wrote was speculative, as in "What if?". ... and the point was that there is no direct evidence that the virus has zoonatic roots OR that it was borne from an experimental mishap. He was calling for an investigation. He was doing it because any suggestion that it COULD have escaped from a lab was being shouted down by by people. But given that the only level 4 virology lab in China was in the backyard of the outbreak, that lab was studying the closest known relative to the virus that causes Covid, and that bioethicists familiar with the lab (for example, people who quoted in his article) had long been sounding the alarm about the kinds of serial passaging they were doing in cultures at that lab, he was suggesting that it was certainly worthy of exploration.

I don't remember your posts in particular, but there were people telling me how it had been PROVEN that the virus was a zoonatic jump, and that just isn't / wasn't true. It was if the people responding to didn't want to read the actual article, and respond to what it actually said. Even your post just now is more of that. He was "hocking" a book?

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'll admit that I thought that the zoonatic jump was the cause and dismissed the lab connection because that seemed to be simple "What if?" analysis which is not helpful. However, I realize now the error of my way.

I frankly refused to give it any credence until some solid evidence was shown because people were using that hypothesis (Not enough for a theory) to blame the Chinese (and all Chinese) for intentionally attacking the US (what about the rest of the world?)

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Perhaps I'm slow. Oh, fuck the "perhaps." But I fail to see the difference between Xi's horrible dictatorship covering up a leak from a research lab (sadly frequent all over the earth) and Xi's horrible dictatorship covering up the fact China's live food markets are sinks of possible disease. I mean, in which scenario does he look good?

SFIND likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted