1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

SFIND likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Again, this argument is pointless. 1. We will never know the real answer, which is probably why it's Hot Take Central. 2. Even if we don't know, the fundamental answer is the same. China is a complete dictatorship ruled by a psychopath, so naturally, nobody told the truth about what was happening until it was far, far too late.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Here’s what I wrote originally in response to what he wrote

qtlaw and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's not pointless. *If* (and that New York article was predicated on it being "what if"? despite the way it was being mischaracterized on here) the pandemic had its origins in a lab, it has serious implications for humanity. Just in terms of trying to prevent a similar, or worse, outbreak of some sort in the future, this is important.

Of course we already know that China is not an open or transparent place. It's a dictatorship that is not above lying, perpetrating human rights abuses, etc., and it will cover up a mistake rather than admit to it.

But saying "that's that," like there is nothing we can do about it is akin to saying, "Oh well, Iran is going to keep enriching uranian, and there is nothing we can do about it, so why bother trying?" Or, "The Israelis and Palestinians are going to always hate each other, and there is nothing we can do about it, so why bother trying?"

We may never get China to be transparent. But as long as they are not, the idea that that lab could have been involved -- with all of the circumstancial evidence that makes it as plausible as a zoonatic jump as the origin -- should never have been shouted down so easily. And the Chinese should not be let off the hook.

We are the only country on earth that has the ability to exert consequences for China for not being transparent that will have any teeth. We certainly should be using whatever pressure we can exert, and when they push the WHO around to put out a sham report, because the WHO is afraid of China picking up its ball and going home, we should be out front letting the world know that it was not a truthful or honest investigation.

5. The Big Ragu

You mischaracterized what he wrote.

You really should read it again, but I can already tell you are refusing do it without your preconceived notions that he had some kind of agenda, or that he was "hocking". ... or that you can't evaluate it without being dismissive of the reason he used because you already decided that what he was suggesting couldn't possibly be the truth.

The reality is that objectively a lab accident was just as plausible as a zoonatic jump. Then, and today. Yet, almost from the get-go, you had people framing the cause rather than trying to be objective to figure out the cause.

That New York magazine follow-up piece from yesterday that I linked to has that unfortunate "liberal media" headline. I don't think it was a liberal vs. conservative (terms that have become meaningless) thing as much as it was what the piece itself alleges. There was a reflexive recoiling to Trump's constant bullshit, and his unproven and irrelevant statements about "China" and the virus. ... and that was met with a push back that was equally false in large measure. I think the reason they attribute it to the "liberal media" is that it followed the partisan pattern of people pushing a narrative or story that they wanted to be true, rather than trying to look for the truth. Therefore rather than meeting lies with truth, they met Trump's idiocy with other lies or they didn't even address the truth (or lack of truth) in what he was saying. They just dismissed anything that didn't fit the narrative that they definitively were pushing back with as a conspiracy theory or they attributed it to racism, etc.

The point of what he wrote was that because that was what was happening, something just as plausible as a zoonatic jump was not even being investigated. That "asking questions" thing you typed is a problem when someone is pulling silly crap out of their ass to try to spread misinformation. Anyone who read that piece with an open mind, and considered the credibility of the people he quoted and what they had to say, should have known that wasn't what it was doing.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    TigerVols likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

From Taibbi:

"Fact-Checking" Takes Another Beating

“objectivity was never about giving equal time and weight to “both sides.” It’s just an admission that the news business is a high-speed operation whose top decision-makers are working from a knowledge level of near-zero about most things, at best just making an honest effort at hitting the moving target of truth.

Like fact-checking itself, the “on the one hand and on the other hand” format is just a defense mechanism. These people say X, these people say Y, and because the jabbering mannequins we have reading off our teleprompters actually know jack, we’ll let the passage of time sort out the difficult bits.

The public used to appreciate the humility of that approach, but what they get from us more often now are sanctimonious speeches about how reporters are intrepid seekers of truth who sit next to God and gobble amphetamines so they can stay awake all night defending democracy from “misinformation.” But once you get past names, dates, and whether the sky that day was blue or cloudy, the worst kind of misinformation in journalism is to be too sure about anything. That’s especially when dealing with complex technical issues, and even more especially when official sources seem invested in eliminating discussion of alternative scenarios of those issues.”

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The worst kind of misinformation in journalism is to be too sure about anything (and I'm 100-percent sure about that).

SFIND and OscarMadison like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd rather be the last American wearing a mask, than the last American to die of COVID. I still get notifications of co--workers testing positive and I'm just bewildered at this point. At some point, I won't have a problem with companies just canning workers who test positive. I have co-workers who have TATTOOS who say - no way! I don't want to risk it. Ever hear of Hep C?

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  9. The Big Ragu

You gotta love another sweeping Matt Taibi generalization, in which he treats something like a monolithic entity (in this case, "the news business") in order to create one of his narratives.

There's a lot of people who write for publication who do shit work. There are others who do great work. There are some people who write in an evangelical way; whatever it is they are evangelical about and let their predispositions get in the way of honest work. The are others who let whatever they can factually discern drive what they write.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted